lutino ringneck behaviour

Moderator: Mods

bigtam08

lutino ringneck behaviour

Post by bigtam08 »

hi , I am new to this site , I purchased my first lutino ringneck 2 days ago, previous owner said she was 13 months old and non agressive, and been intimidated by her amazon parrot. she is lovely apparently she is female and only this age how can i confirm she is this young. she seems to be a very frigtened parrot, if anyone goes near her cage she jumps to back of cage in fear and wont come close. Last night we finally managed to try and get her out of cage but on returning her my husband had to catch her with towel , she went ballastic when she saw towel and bit my husband when he returned her to cage, we are really anxious to love this we lovely parrot and want to tame her as we have young kids, any help will be appreciated from anyone. :P
rod038

Re: lutino ringneck behaviour

Post by rod038 »

She needs to settle in for a few weeks before you remove her from the cage. Move slowly around her and talking to her and she may settle down. Keep your hands out of her cage while she settles in apart from feeding her. As she gets calmer you could offer her some pieces of fruit with your hands. Using a towel will cause her not to trust you. It is a slow process. There are some good books on training parrots too.
bigtam08

Post by bigtam08 »

thanks for ur reply, she has been coming out her cage willingly the last two days and returning herself , but i will be getting some books on how to train her x
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Thats good. She must be getting more confident. Just move slowly around her and be calm and she should come around.

I have a hand raised bird in my aviary and all the rest are parent raised. He has been in the avairy since he was weened and he is still quite tame. He trys to land on me when I am feeding them. I put my arm out and he lands and takes off strait away. He would be about the same age as your bird and I am sure if I wanted too he would become very tame. But he will be a breeder so I am not going down that path.
bigtam08

Post by bigtam08 »

hi there, thanks again for your reply, i have been told by the lady that i purchased connie from that she was 13 months old, i have been trying to find literature to tell me the best way to distinguish her age and sex, as i was given no hatch certificate, also she has some white feathering on her tail and under her wings is this normal? :)
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Yes the Feathers are normal. Does she have Red Eyes? If so She is a Lutino.

Normally young birds are DNA sexed at about the time they leave the nest. However with some Mutations it is possible to do what they call Nest Sexing. This can be done on Sex Linked Mutations.

Some of the Sex linked Mutations are Ino (Albino, Lutino), Lacewing (Pallid), Cinnamon, Opaline.

With A Sex Linked Mutation and I will use your bird which I think is a Lutino as an example the Father would be either a Lutino or a Split Lutino and the Mother possibly a Normal Green. Because this is Sex Linked the Father will pass the Mutation fully onto his Daughters and his sons will be Splits. What this means is his Daughters will then be Lutino and his Sons Split Lutino. So when the Chicks get their Feathers in the nest you can tell from this pairing that any Yellow (Lutino) Chicks will be Hens and any Green Chicks will be Cocks.

If the Mother is a Lutino as well then this doesnt work as you would get both Lutino and Green Chicks in both sexes and then there is a need for DNA Sexing.

Thats a pretty simplified version and doesnt take into account other possible splits.

Once the bird is past a few months of age it is hard to tell the age particularly on a hen as they all look the same. Does she have a Leg Ring? Mine have the year in which they were born stamped on the ring with their ID number. If it was a Cock then you have a rough idea of how old it is when you see it get its Ring. You know that no Ring is up to about 28 months on average. Some get it earlier some get it later.