How Long Will It Take To Tame My IRN?

Moderator: Mods

jobcian

How Long Will It Take To Tame My IRN?

Post by jobcian »

Ive had my indian ringneck since March 9th, s/he is about 6 months, i talk to jimbob everyday, and see jimbob everyday, i try to feed him/her out of my hand but he/she goes mad and flys on top of the cage and then trys to bite my fingers/hand, he/she doesnt take treats he/she drops them and goes for my fingers, ive been trying since the day ive gotten her, i talk to her in a nice quiet voice, my bird squawks and makes alot of noise, i dont know why, please can you give me some advice on how i can tame my bird thanks

Here's a Few Photos of Jimbob

the first 2 photos are about a month old, the others are from about 5 miniutes ago,
I Noticed a few of His/hers tail feathers have fallen out
jimmyjack

Re: How Long Will It Take To Tame My IRN?

Post by jimmyjack »

dont worry about the feathers falling out, probably just going through a malt.

id suggest trawling through the posts on this forum, especially the ones including the words "please help" and "taming" - there are literally dozens of them. read through the responses to others problems to work out a regime to follow in training. remember that you are trying to gain jimbobs trusts and that hes acting the way he is because he feels threatened, so often slow careful action is the best course. persistence and daily action.

if he is still completely afraid, try moving his cage to a busy area of the house, such as the family room. this can be difficult, especially when that room is also busy at night. but let him get used to your presence and movements. then just try sitting next to the cage and talking to him. try several sessions a day (or atleast one if its all you can manage),

then find a favourite treat and make it very obvious that youre holding it, and either place it between the bars, or in a food bowl, then continue to sit and talk. Even if hes too frightened to come and retrieve it, dont be phased. try to just sit and talk and let him get used to your company.

after a week or so he should start to associate the treats with you. start offering them and keep holding them through the cage or open the door placing your hand just inside the door. just keep your hand steady in the same place - DONT go chasing them around the cage until they take the treat. if he doesnt take it, just pop it in the bowl when you leave.

by this stage you should be able to start coaxing him down towards the door of the cage, and the trick is get him up on your hand without scaring him. again sit calmly and talk if he freaks out, or just steps up to take the treat and run, never fear as its still a big step.

this is the slow and steady approach ive used, recommended by other members of this forum. once youve acheived all this, you'll recognise a relationship with jimbob and he'll recognise it too. from then on, its up to you.

though ive now defeated the purpose of going back and reading other comments, i still recommend you do that, as it will give you some great advice
mahdy

Re: How Long Will It Take To Tame My IRN?

Post by mahdy »

i just wanaa tell you it was the same problem with me before
but now my ringneck parrot (toty) very closest frind to me
feed her twice per day and one of them at morrining with training and the 2end one at the night with training ..
i thing you will ask me what kind of training am talking about ?!
just try to get the clicker and the treats and i will give you link to see how to teach your parrot target play ..
thanks
mahdy .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXHrqqEIp4

this is the link