I need advice!

Moderator: Mods

njournel101

I need advice!

Post by njournel101 »

Hey guys,

I have the possibility of doing the following and I would like any advice from other people who have experience with Indian Ringnecks!

I would like to purchase a 4 year old violet hen who is somewhat tame and has been housed with her albino sister since they were young. My friend has a blue male who is 3 years old and has always been alone in his cage. He is tame and more of a pet bird for now I would say.
I would like to get the violet hen and pair her with the blue cock. Is the fact that the violet hen has always been in a cage with her sister going to make this very difficult? Will she likely reject the blue male? How about the male is it likely that he will not be interested in her since he has been a pet for the first 3 years of his life?
If I do get them what steps should I follow to make their acceptance of each other easier?

If I do pair them what possible colors would their chicks be? The violet is from a violet mom and a blue cock. By the way with that pairing is it even possible that they had a violet and an albino chick in the same clutch? The blue is from a blue cock and the mom I don't know. What are the chances of me getting visually violet chicks?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Feel free to tell me if you think this is a bad idea or if you think its a good idea!

Nick
mikeb

Re: I need advice!

Post by mikeb »

a violet paired with a blue would give you 50% violet & 50% blue babies if they are not split to anything, you would have to know what they are split to to figure out what their potential babies would be . it would be best to put them each in their own cage next to each other and see if they seem to get along when you see them staying and sleeping as close as they can get it should be safe to pair them up in the same cage
njournel101

Post by njournel101 »

Thanks! If we know the parents of the violet hen were a violet(female) and a blue(male) what does that make her? I guess what is she split to and how does that change the outcome of the 50% violet 50% blue babies.

If they were to sleep near each other in seperate cage would I want to introduce the male into the females cage or the other way around?

Thanks
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

they would not be split to anything violet is a blue series bird that is a dominate gene, blue is a recessive gene and no color bird can be split to violet so if the bird has no visual violet gene it cannot produce violet birds. i suggest going to abk publications and ordering phil robson's book the indian ringneck breeders handbook it can explain the gene stuff better than i can ! and i would introduce the female to the males' cage and don't put up a nest box until they have been together for a few weeks and you see him feeding her or next breeding season depending on where you are . and when you do keep a good eye on them cause sometimes the female will get aggressive towards the male hope this helps you cause i've been helped here before, there are quite a few people on here that know alot and don't mind sharing it to help others who love ringnecks mike
njournel101

Post by njournel101 »

Okay great! So you are telling me that since my violet hen is from a a violet female and a blue male she is 100% violet. It is safe for me to assume that with her genetic background (parents) if I pair her up with a blue cock I will get 50% violets and 50% blues correct?

Thanks!
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

they could be split if their parents were but you can't tell if a bird is split by looking at it a violet or blue bird can be split to something depending on the parents but no other color bird can be split to violet so if the violet and blue birds are not split to anything half of your babies will be 100% blue and half 100% violet if your birds are split to anything the babies can be split to what ever your birds are split to but none can be split to violet
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Nick,

just alittle info for you.

if the albino you can get is the sister of the violet there is a deffinant chance she is masking violet.

1.0 blue /ino
x 0.1 blue violet(sf)
% from all 1.0 cocks
25.0% 1.0 blue /ino
25.0% 1.0 blue violet(sf) /ino
25.0% 1.0 blue
25.0% 1.0 blue violet(sf)
% from all 0.1 hens
25.0% 0.1 blue ino albino
25.0% 0.1 blue violet(sf) ino albino masking violet
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 blue violet(sf) violet

As you can see that there is a 50% chance the albino hen is masking violet.
It meens the father of the viole hen was split to ino.
Thanks Glenn
njournel101

Post by njournel101 »

Thanks for the replies guys!
So if I can get a hold of the breeder of the parents of these sisters I should ask him if the father was split to ino? If he says yes then my albino DOES carry the gene for masking violet? If he says no then she doesnt? Or am I not understanding this corectly?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Not exactly if they are sisters then the father must have been carying the ino gene and there is a 50% chance she is masking violet.

Ta Glenn