Help me understand the genetics =)

Moderator: Mods

Genetic95

Help me understand the genetics =)

Post by Genetic95 »

ok so i am a little confused with all the genetics so i need your help. The 3 main colours i want to focus on are lutino blue and albino. Here is what i know so far:
The original birds have 2 genes, both of which give them their green colour. When one of these genes was corrupted then bred to be homozygous it caused a lack of yellow pigment in the feathering causing the bird to look blue. Am i right??
Ok then their is another gene located on the birds x chromosome (i think it is x and y, males are xx females are xy for birds right?). this gene, causes a lack of blue pigmentation in the feathers when it is homozygous in males and when a female carries it. How am i going so far?
So if you cross a blue female whose genotype would be bb (b for blue) with a green male you would get all green visualy green birds that are all split for blue, or Gb. If you then went on to cross these you would get some that would be GG (green), some bb (blue) and some Gb (green with blue gene). am i right?
ok so if u then were to get the same blue female as before and cross her with a lutino male you would get this: The males genotype is G*G* (* meaning it is lutino) and the females is bb so their their female offspring would be G*b (visualy lutino with one blue gene) and all the males would be G*b (visualy green with one blue gene). am i close?
If you where to then get one of these lutino females and breed them back to a blue male you would get this: female= G*b and male=bb
you would get some blue birds some lutino birds (only females) and some albino birds (only female). I think.

Ok lets move on to the albino's. an albino male would be b*b* and a female would be bb*. if you were to cross an albino male with a blue female you would get all albino hens bb* and blue males split with the lutino gene b*b. am a still right?
if you were to get the same albino male b*b* and cross it with a lutino hen GG* you would get all lutino birds but they would all be split with the blue gene.

then if you were to once again get the albino stud b*b* and cross him with a gree female GG you would get lutino females spilt with the blue gene and you would get green males split with the blue gene and the lutino gene. correct??

ok could someone tell me if im on the right path?? because i have a lot more questions and if i am doing it wrong now then all my future efforts will be wrong =)