Green mutation? normal? split? male/female? HELP!

Moderator: Mods

SCB -SA

Green mutation? normal? split? male/female? HELP!

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi all wondering if you can help, i have a green, mixed ringneck, just a year old, i think its a she but am not sure. She is a light green, with a bit of yellow underneath, but if you spread her wings she is like army camoflage colours, a green, grey and yellow mix? what is her colouring name and how common are they? i will post a pic as soon as possible, she also has blue in her tail?

thanks
dog_glenn123

Re: Green mutation? normal? split? male/female? HELP!

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi SCB-SA.

Firstly you want know what he/she is for another 12 months unless you want to DNA sex it.

AMles get the ring and females dont.

I would say it is just a normal green bird as its colour are the same as my ones.

My male is Green split blue ino, but not sure if that why he has more colours then what he should!

Also you want be able to tell what he is split too.

They are the most common of all ringnecks (besides the splits)

Thanks Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi thanks for the response, I understand about the sex, I have studied all the posts here :) and I am still curious thou as I habe a normal green as well and it is nothing like this. The green is green, yellow underneath and blue in the tail, as your nomal green is, my one, is a diferent shade of green with yellow and grey in the wings, in like i say splotches and patches? I have seen olive as well and it is nothing like that.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hey post a picture and then every one can throw the 10cents worth in.

I still recon its a normal green with possible splits.

My green one has blue in its tail, blue on its head near the ring(more then usual), yellow under its tail and wings and grey under its wing on the flight feathers. also on his back he has like a yellowy brown wash threw it(not pastel) just an odd colouring.
His dad was Lutino and mum blue.

It was explained to me that the greens can appear in many variasions.

Thanks Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

HI going to post 2 pics, sorry if they not very clear, first one is the one i am asking you guys to help me with the colour and the second is my funny green next to my normal green so you can compare. pls add your opinion!
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi the one on the left looks normal green (and looks to be female but still need to wait for ring)

The one on the right and the picture below :shock: you got me not sure of the dark colours on the wings never seen it before in a green bird hopefully others can help!!!.

Ta Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hahah see, told you its not normal! the normal green is only a year, and does the male dance and regurgitates and talks rather well, so i am inclined to think it is male, will see late next year!
riccardo

Post by riccardo »

green
cinnamon green (cinnamon or isabel)
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

It is not a cinnamon green since the nails are grey.

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi i dont know if this helps at all but her nails are more white, as her legs are very pale pink, her feet look the wrong colour in that pic, but it was the only pics that showed her wing colours properly, as soon as i can i will take a pic with her wing stretched out...
Recio

Post by Recio »

Mmmh ... maybe illness, maybe piedness :roll:

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

not illness! take good care of my babies, so much as a funny whistle and they go see birdy doctor, attached is a photo of her wing opened, it is not a very good pic but shows the grey/different coour on her wing tips, her wings have three color levels, start off a lime green, go yellowish with the grey ish tip... hope someone can help i was told it could be lacewing, but thought lacewing had to be white??
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

What people usually call lacewing is, in fact, pallid. If it was the case its head would be yellow, no matter whether it is a male or a female, no matter if young or adult. So she is not pallid.

True lacewing is a combo or crossing-over cinnamon-ino and its colour is a very, very clear green (almost yellow), somewhere between lutino and green-cinnamon... So she is not a true lacewing.

I think that your bird is some kind of pied. Piedness is not always a mutation. It can just be a modification due to environemental factors (vitamin deficiency, illnes, hormonal troubles, ...). To know if it is a mutation or not you should ask for her parents phenotype or to pair her to a pied male and look at the offspring: if the offspring is pied then she is pied, if the offspring is not pied then it is a modification and not a mutation.

Best regards

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Pieds are very rare here, any other colour I could try? Only ever seen one pied here and owner refused to sell....
what would happen if i bred it with an albino? would that not be able to show if it a modification or mutation?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi SCB -SA.

Where are you from?
If in Aus there are people in Sydney that breed Pieds Rec. and Dom. and they will ship it anywhere in Aus for free since its pieds.

If you google Amaroo Averies you should find them.

Regarding the Aalbino, I am guessing that if it is pied it is recessive which means that you will not visually see it unless you pair it to a pied.

.0 green rec.pied
x 0.1 blue ino
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 green /blue ino rec.pied
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 green /blue rec.pied
Calculated on 15 Nov 2010 23:52:01 , Prague

All the young would be split to rec.pied.

Thanks Glenn
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi, I am from South Africa, and not only are they very rare, but very very expensive too, so maybe in a few years, (a good few years) I could save and ger one, otherwise i will just have to keep guessing. Thanks for your input
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

In South Afrika you should try to contact Dr Deon Smith. He has for sure pied IRN and if he ever does not sell them, he could tell you of other breeders selling these birds.

Best regards

Recio
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

great thnks, i will definately give it a try!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Looks like stress bars to me.

Some good examples: http://board.birdchannel.com/Topic18545 ... x#bm185758
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

She has been like that since I got here thou Melika, and she has gone through her first moult recently, she has also been seen by the vet, and she is not ill, nor is it hormone related or anything like that?