A little Help For Breeding PLease!

Moderator: Mods

Peter

A little Help For Breeding PLease!

Post by Peter »

hello,
this is my first post and i hope i get lots of help, since i've read other posts here and I am glad you are helpful :)

Well, my problem is that I have a Yellow IRN 3.5 years old (I found him lost and in pain when he was 6 months old and I saved him and he is really grateful to me since) and I bought 4 months ago a Blue IRN which I assumed is 2 years and something more (since the petshop told me is ready to breed), and they just do not lay eggs.

I spy on my Yellow IRN and I can see him sometimes "dancing" to the female with a "being proud" stand and making his wings like "heart" :D its really awesome! After that pose he goes near her and with his foot he touches his face and he leans to her and starts to talk whatever thing he learned like my brothers' and my name. (funny i can tell :lol: ). Then the female IRN goes next to him and start to "clean" his feathers and his face with her peak. The final step of this thing is that he tries to stand on her bu placing his foot over her back but the the female bites.

Could someone explain to me why at the last point, when they acctually are going to mate together, the female bites?
Even though the female at start was chasing the male around the cage :D they bond too quickly (I bought the female 4 months ago). And the "mating" stages above are happening for a month now.
They do not lay eggs because of the season? Is my female too young?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Peter
P.S: Here in Cyprus the weather just started to getting cold. I mean we have at least 14 Celcius at night :P
julie

Re: A little Help For Breeding PLease!

Post by julie »

the male will try whenever he feels like it, the female will let him mate when she feels like it.I noticed my males will flirt with the hen and they position themselves so their feet are in one spot and they reach over to the hen and see if she will try to bite him, if she doesnt bite him he edges a bit closer. They fact that your male can get as close as you say is a good thing. Do you have a nesting box in with them?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh thank you for your reply :)

Thank goodness it is a good sign :)

Acctually yeah, i've placed the nesting box a week after I purchased the hen! I think it is big enough for them since it is 28x28x24cm and i filled it with nesting material :)

Hm.. so the problem is that I am off season or I am just in a hurry to get babies? :)

Thanks again for your answers!! :)

Peter
julie

Post by julie »

just starting to get cold is good :wink: they breed in the cooler seasons.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I would get a bigger breeding box at least 30cm x 30cm and 60 cm in height with a mesh ladder or wooden slats for them to climb up and down on inside of the box. My birds breed as it is starting to warm up. Going from Winter to Spring.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hello all,

Thank You For Your Answers!! :)
I was amaze by the idea of a big nesting box with a ladder inside :D

hah Awesome :)

Lets wait then and see what happens :D