Will They Breed?

Moderator: Mods

Miss_Niss

Will They Breed?

Post by Miss_Niss »

Hi,
I just recently purchased 2 grein IRN'S They are supposedly bonded and seem to be quiet happy together so far. Now im not too about breeding but happy to do my research, just wondering is it too late in the season for breeding? If not what are some common signs to tell weather they are going to breed or not? They are avairy birds so when you walk near there cage they stare at you or freak. So assuming i will never see them mate, how else can you tell?
Any information would be great of help.
Kind Regards
pinkdevil

Re: Will They Breed?

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Miss Ness,

Where are you located? As this will help determine if you are still in the breeding times.

I am in NSW Aust, my birds have bred and now have chicks in the nest with one hen looking like laying again soon.

How old are your new pair? Are they a definite male and female? Have they bred for the previous owner?
Depending on how far away the pair were bought and how quickly they settle in to the new home and surroundings as to if they will begin breeding or not.
I bought a few pairs aprox 6 hrs drive away a couple of years ago and they skipped a breeding season. I am guessing the transfer was a bit stressful for them and that was the reason why. The following year they bred. Then I bought a hen locally who was VERY interested in the male as soon as I placed her in the aviary. No getting to know you first with her. :shock: :lol: :P

A good indication the birds may breed is if you see the male courting the female by displaying heart shape wings and 'dancing' at her. Or if the hen presents herself to the male by lowering herself and arching back slightly, making clucking sounds.
You may also catch the male feeding the hen.

I only catch a couple of my pairs mating....the more experienced pairs. Guess they are not shy after a few years of 'doing it'! :shock: The younger birds are more like, 'stop....here she comes'. :lol: