Very New to Breeding

Moderator: Mods

ringsrock

Very New to Breeding

Post by ringsrock »

Hi. I am very new to breeding IRNs. I have bred cockatiels in the past and read a lot though.

I purchased a male green split to lutino and female cinnamon. They were proven pair at the breeders house. The lady told me that in one week I can put the breeding box on and watch it happen. I have had birds for four weeks with box on for three. I have not seen any mating rituals or attempts to go into the box. The male is pretty aggressive to the female. He doesn't even like her eating. He will feed her though. He tries to steal her food when she gets some. I was wondering what to do. Maybe I am being inpatient. How long does it usually take for these birds to calm down and mate? What color babies should I expect?

Also I have a female silver who has lost her mate. I want to find her a new one. Any suggestions? What color should I get for her? I am into the mutations available.

Thanks so much for your input. :wink:
sarahb

Re: Very New to Breeding

Post by sarahb »

hi well i brought a proven pair of greens a while back and i put the box in not long after my pair settled down very fast and were in the nest box within a few days of me putting it up they are about 3 and a half yrs old. But what i guess u have to remember is all birds are differant i didnt have any problem with agression with mine either so maybe someone else on here more experienced can help with that aspect i also have no idea on genetics but i know alot of people here will be able to tell u what u need to know. good luck with it and i hope it all works out for you