What does this mean?

Moderator: Mods

lynchy

What does this mean?

Post by lynchy »

I have a 6 month old IRN, that I have got to the point of being handled without biting and loves being patted and scratched. However the other night he was on the loubge with me and my family hoping happily from to my daughter and husband without any problems. He eventually settled on my chest and was softly talking to me when suddenly he jumped across to my daughter and attacked her face, drawing blood. My daughter had'nt mad any noise or sudden movement so I don't understand what happened. I immediately put him back in his cage and gave him no more attention that night, but now he doesn't like my daughter going near him.
Has anyone got a clue what this could be about? :(
mickpmc

Re: What does this mean?

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there!
I really don't know what happened to your Ringneck. Has it been
around your daugheter since you bought the bird or is this the first time
she met him? Was your daughter looking at the Ringneck are doing any
hand movements while you were in the room together?
Some questions I need to know before I know whats going on.

Regards

Mike

Milo...Boy...Buddy
julie

Post by julie »

Possibly jealous of the attention your daughter gets. Get your daughter to be the one to feed and give treats for a little while and see if they can make friends again.
lynchy

Post by lynchy »

My daughter has been around my ringneck from the start. She helps me with everything to do with him. She feeds him, changes his water, uncovers his cage in the morning. He was letting her scratch him and he had been sitting on her shoulder before coming back to me. She didn't move or make a sound we were all watching TV. I can only think it was jealousy or someting on the TV that he thought she had done. :(
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't have the answers... but I guess he is going through the maturing process and may be deciding to bond with you and doesn't like those who take your attention - I imagine/hope your daughter does take your attention! :)

I think Julie is probably right, your daughter should try to be the main person to interact with him for a bit.

Are you sure he is a he?

I hope he doesn't do that again and that you manage to help him sort out his behaviour... it's very scary when your birds do that.

Other than that, does he have a routine for when he is out of the cage and when he goes to sleep? Is he getting enough sleep? Could it be he wanted to go to bed?

Regards

Ellie.