health IRN

Moderator: Mods

alison

health IRN

Post by alison »

Hi All I just wanted to ask if anyone else has an IRN that has wing trouble, my bird has never been able to fly from when we bought her from a pet shop and is now 8 yrs old. She exercises her wings most days but lately she holds the left wing away from her body and pulls it forward and holds it with her foot. I think she may be in pain but Im not sure. Has anyone else had the same experience? :) Many thanks Alison
pinkdevil

Re: health IRN

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Allison.

I have not had any of my birds do like you have described. I have had a couple of birds bought that were clipped before they learnt to fly.
If you are concerned or she looks like she is in a bit of discomfort, a trip to the vet for a check to put both your mind at ease and to see if any problems.

Birds hide pain and illness well so if signs are being shown, then there is usually a problem.

Hope she will be fine. :)
Skyenet

Post by Skyenet »

You sure the IRN is not just stretching its wing?
alison

Post by alison »

[quote="pinkdevil"]Hi Allison.

I have not had any of my birds do like you have described. I have had a couple of birds bought that were clipped before they learnt to fly.
If you are concerned or she looks like she is in a bit of discomfort, a trip to the vet for a check to put both your mind at ease and to see if any problems.

Birds hide pain and illness well so if signs are being shown, then there is usually a problem.

Hope she will be fine. :)[/

I think you are right I will have to take her to the vet, its just that there isnt one locally and I was hoping someone else may have had the same problem. Thanks anyway
alison

Post by alison »

Skyenet wrote:You sure the IRN is not just stretching its wing?
No I dont think so Skyenet she doesnt do it all the time just every now and then she holds her wing but to me she looks to be in discomfort and she makes a little noise. She is getting ready to lay eggs and does a lot of weird head bobbing and is in her quiet stage where she is very loving and timid. I am just about to slowly change the diet from seed to pellets incase it has something to do with nutrition but she has heaps fruit and veg every day and cuttlefish. She bites so I cannot handle her to look inside the wing to see if there is damage to the eye. There is no avian vet around close to where I live but it looks like I might need to take a trip to find one.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Can you get a video of her doing what you are describing?
Someone may be able to recognize her behaviour or give you ideas at to what could be the problem.
alison

Post by alison »

Good idea I filmed her with my phone camera and have now noticed she only does it at certain times not all the time and she bobs her head up and down as though it is some kind of ritual. She is making eggs at the moment. I dont know how to load the video onto this forum any ideas? :roll: Cheers Alison
P.S my birds name is Cocky but she is an Indian ringneck, its just that she is forever saying hello cocky