Can i have a ringneck & a conure in the same cage?

Moderator: Mods

merinda8

Can i have a ringneck & a conure in the same cage?

Post by merinda8 »

I have a 6 month old blue ringneck (male) & recently decided that we would like another birdie for the house.
Would we be able to have a ringneck & a conure together or is it best to keep them seperate :?:
If we decide to buy another ringneck, could we keep them together :?:
Would appreciate any feedback!
Many thanks in advance
Merinda
julie

Re: Can i have a ringneck & a conure in the same cage?

Post by julie »

I wouldnt advise doing it. Use the search function to find what others have already asked about this topic.
Omnicromm

Post by Omnicromm »

Well I have two IRN, they came together and from the same seller, they were at the same cage for some months (they were in the same cage with the seller too) but at the end I have to split them in two cages because they started to fight each other at the beginning it was something like the amazons or lovebirds do but with the time the aggression grows to a really dangerous levels so now they are split in their own cage and they are very happy and this helps with my taming process too so good luck with your guys but my advice is to keep them separated
Alex
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I have two male ringies of different ages living together. Skye is my oldest at 1 year or so old when we got Anakin, the baby. Anakin was about 3 months old when we brought him home.

They have been living in the same cage now for about 5 months and all is well. They seem to argue a bit more on the play gym than in their cage. Skye is pretty mellow though. There was some chasing at first on Skye's part. That was only the first couple days we tried this. Then after the first couple of days, they let each other eat and play with toys. Anakin can hold is own on those rare occasions when Skye decides to chase Anakin though. Keep in mind it's all up to the individual birds. Anakin is more bold and boisterous and Skye is more laid back and typically gives into Anakin. I wouldn't recommend putting another of a different species in there. Your best bet would be another young ringneck. Get yours DNA tested though. Females can be pretty mean to their cage mates and even the most bonded of pairs will have problems. If yours is a female, don't even try this. Get two separate cages and they'll be better off. Males tend to be a little more easy going though. Skye was never DNA'd though but I ended up not needing to because by the time I was ready for another bird, he was showing all kinds of male behavior and no female behavior. When we got Ani we weren't really sure what gender he was. We did get him DNAd just so we'd know for sure.

If you do decide to keep them in the same cage, get new toys, and new perches and totally rearrange the cage adding these new items so no bird feels like he owns it. We also moved into our house out of our apartment though so I don't know which of those things (buying new cage accessories or moving into a new place) had the most bearing on keeping them getting along.
Feather friend

Post by Feather friend »

I house an IRN and a Tiel together but they where both very young and the cage is huge.
Yes I agree about the toys and perches. Every morning I cange things arround and hide treats in boxes and fruit on toys.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I own a female Ringneck, she is so gentle. Never has bit me so far its been a year. I agree with Bec, it really comes down to the birds personal personality. :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I personaly would not house a IRN and Conure together in the same cage.

I have Sun Conures and IRNs next door to each other in an outdoor aviary and I am sure would do serious damage if they could get to each other.
Their fighting got to the point where I had to double wire the partition separating them. Both these birds were quiet young and have grown up 'together' as neighbours.

There are always exceptions to the rules depending on each birds personality and how accepting the original bird is of the new 'intruder'.

So just from my experience I wouldn't take the risk of housing these 2 breeds together. :)
bec

Post by bec »

U.S Marine wrote:I own a female Ringneck, she is so gentle. Never has bit me so far its been a year. I agree with Bec, it really comes down to the birds personal personality. :lol:
i looked & looked but cant find any comment i made here im confused?
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

I have a male blue IRN and a sun COnure in the same cage. The Blue's mate died this summer and I had a hand raised sun baby and figured I would let them live together for a while til I found the IRN another mate.

The sun grew up with several clutches of baby IRNs, so it had 9 ringnecks with him. What I did note when doing my hand feeding was not only were the suns ostersized, but even the diffrent color mutations all seemed to hand together.

Even stranger still was that one clutch had three blues and one blue lacewing. Even the lacewing seemed like it recognized it wasnt the same as the blues and was always ostersized from its clutch mates. 11 babies in one tub and they all seemed to have thier own little clicks.

Now I watch the sun and the older blue IRN and while they dont fight, they pay each other no mind either and usuaylly are at opposite ends of the cage.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!