Help. Colour identification of hen

Moderator: Mods

Ditton

Help. Colour identification of hen

Post by Ditton »

Hi, just wondering if anyoune can help me in identifing what colour my hen is. I bought her about 4 years ago and thought she was just blue until a few days ago when I purchased a friend for her.
Now I know he is plain blue but when I put them in the aviary together I noticed they didn't look the same. The hen appears to have alot of light grey feathers especially round her head and chest.

This photo is of the pair of them together.

This is a close up of the cock.

And here's two of the hen.

Is it my imagination or do you think she is a different colour?
madas

Re: Help. Colour identification of hen

Post by madas »

They look both blue to me.
krameri

Post by krameri »

Me too.

Marc
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,
I just woder if there is a touch of turquoise in the wings, both in female and male, or if it is just lighting conditions.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Cant see anything other than a pair of blue birds from my opinion.

What people often dont realise is there is a substantial difference between the colouring of the males and females as they get older through several of the mutations, blue is a good example of this. ie; the different shade the males get around the head etc as they mature.
Ditton

Post by Ditton »

The photos haven't come out that well. She actually has a lot more grey in her. When I originally bought her, she was paired up with a grey and I thought she was a grey. In the cage they both looked the same.
Fah

Post by Fah »

You might just have to work on your own efforts to check other blue hens in your area so you can compare live specimins.

This is a good example of what we see not being what you see... in the pics its just a normal looking hen for the most part, but obviously not the case for you.

Hopefully you can sort out some comparisons in a local context.
madas

Post by madas »

Please post a picture of the backsite of this bird. One with flash and one without.

thx.
Recio

Post by Recio »

madas wrote:Please post a picture of the backsite of this bird. One with flash and one without.

thx.
Yes, and add, if posible, a closer look to the male legs (nails seems quite clear if compared to the female's in the same photo), he could also be cinamon.

Cheers
Recio