New foods

Moderator: Mods

ian1

New foods

Post by ian1 »

After a bit of rummaging on the internet I'm looking for more foods that make the birds lose their normal sense of caution. So far I have (I have Asian continent shops):

Sugar cane - not sure they 'eat' but they turn it to dust
Chillis, pungent is better than hot e.g. Nandi
Popcorn (thanks Bec)
Sweetcorn (verrrry expensive here)
Apple (apparently if you keep it a 'rare' treat)

All the above make my wild bird lose her normal caution and become obsessed with the food - grateful for more!!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Seeds like sunflower (I only give like three a day) and millet sprays.

Usually ours go CRAZY over fruits- pear is the big one. Also banana, pineapple, pomegranate, peaches/nectarines (no pits), and berries (no cherry pits).

OH! I almost forgot BEANS. Soaked overnight then rinsed thoroughly and cooked until well done.

-----

The best way to offer veggies for their attention (both mine and my sister's IRN) is a warm veggie mash.

Boil a sweet potato or two (quartered and skin on) til easily pierced with a fork then mash it.

Mix in a lot of finely diced or small uncooked veggies (carrots, squashes, peppers, cauliflower, peas, corn (though corn is a grain, NOT a veggie), etc. Broccoli can be used but I find it flavours the mix strongly so I won't mix it in every time.

Scoop the mix into ice cube trays and freeze for individual portions, putting in a freezer bag when hardened.

Warm a cube on the stove or microwave (stir a lot if you decide to use a microwave to avoid hotspots) and serve.

They also enjoy it cold, but go mad over it when it is warm. (:

-----

Just the other day I came across this website and enjoyed the following article, especially the notes about pesticides.

http://www.birdscomefirst.org/feeding.php
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ian1

Post by ian1 »

Thanks for this - great stuff and you read my mind about wanting something I could make a big batch and then serve as needed :)
bec

Post by bec »

no worries im going to try some of your other ideas