Perching

Moderator: Mods

sidaster

Perching

Post by sidaster »

How can I make my IRN perch on my finger, hand or shoulder?
he's green and about a year old
He just started coming out of his cage
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hi, Press your fingers against its legs. :lol:
Make sure you say a certain word while
pressing against its front legs. Like "up"
courtney

Post by courtney »

I use treats to train them to do this. Like Martin said press up on the belly and give him a treat after. Take a lot of practice but he will eventually do it. Choose a word that you want to say when you do it.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

Janet

Perching

Post by Janet »

I had a nervous bird who had little parrot panic attacks if I made her step up onto my finger. My vet told me that nervous birds are least confident about sitting on your finger. He told me to try getting her to step up onto my forearm until she gained confidence. I did this and now I have a bird who is happy to step up onto my finger. She likes to hold her wings out for balance but no more panic attacks!!!
courtney

Post by courtney »

Oh what a GREAT idea, that has never occurred to me to try to get them to perch on your forearm. :lol:
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

sidaster

Post by sidaster »

hey, thanks for the help!
yesterday i got him to perch on my forearm for a minute or two by luring him with a treat, he stepped on with one foot and later with both
i think it's a good start what do you think?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Great, here is another great tip.
Where ever your bird is located
you should say something to him
every time you pass by his cage
so he gets excited. Call his name
& say hello, what are you doin.
this is called socializing with your
bird & they get very excited wen
they get used to it.
courtney

Post by courtney »

I also taught Chiquita to come to the spot I am pointing to. I tap my finger and she knows that is where she is supposed to land. Kind of like come here. Then she gets a treat. I have these tiny fruit bits that are healthy that I got in the small animal section of Pet Smart that are great for training. Since they get a lot for training I like to keep it healthy.

Janet

Perching

Post by Janet »

I didn't think it would take long for your bird to step up onto your forearm. It look my little one hardly any time at all after weeks of distressed squawking every time she stepped up onto my finger. Good news!