psitacine mutations

Moderator: Mods

Recio

psitacine mutations

Post by Recio »

Hi, everybody

Just for the theory: Has any one tryed to put a lutino sex-linked female to a recesive lutino male? If they are not split, theory says that chicks will be visuals greens ... But, what colour would display a bird showing both lutino mutations? Would it always be yellow? Same deep of yellow? And the pink ring-neck? Has anyone got a pink colour out of the neck?

It seems that there are different types of pieds and that cumulation of mutations allows to show a different pattern than the originals. I was just wondering if the same could happen with lutino.

Waiting for ideas

Recio
Jay

Re: psitacine mutations

Post by Jay »

Recio wrote:Hi, everybody

Just for the theory: Has any one tryed to put a lutino sex-linked female to a recesive lutino male? If they are not split, theory says that chicks will be visuals greens ... But, what colour would display a bird showing both lutino mutations? Would it always be yellow? Same deep of yellow? And the pink ring-neck? Has anyone got a pink colour out of the neck?

It seems that there are different types of pieds and that cumulation of mutations allows to show a different pattern than the originals. I was just wondering if the same could happen with lutino.

Waiting for ideas

Recio

In theory you would indeed get visual Green birds from that pairing. Both red and yellow pigments belong to the psittacin yellow pigment family, so as long as the Blue mutation is not present (homozygous), then IRNs will have yellow and red pigments.

I would like to think that a bird that has both NSLIno and SLIno would still be yellow. Perhaps with less retained melanin as both genes are acting on the removal of melanin... same as what Dominant and Recessive Pied would be acting on their own to increase a greater piedness level.

In SLInos, there is some melanin retained as evidenced by the Blue sheen on Albinos and Green sheen on Lutinos.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Jay

I agree with your conclusions. Actually I post this message because of two main reasons:

1: I have read about a possible orange mutation of IRN bred in Australia. It was several years ago and there were not more information. Have you ever heard about it?

2: Present breeding season (Europe) I put a sex linked lutino female with a lutino male (probably sex linked but I am not 100% sure). I have got 6 eggs, but there was only one that hatched and he dyes 2 days later. All the eggs were fertile and the chicks inside were all fully developped. The only one that hatched showed a red colour on the area around the nostrils, red legs and a red line on the wings following the line of the future feathers. Both parents were proven with other birds before. The couple is still together and I am waiting for a second clutch. I know that it is not very sensible to put a couple of lutino together but, sometimes, not sensible things allow to improve knowledge.
Fah

Post by Fah »

There have been a small (very small) handful of orange mutations, and pink even around the world, most can easily be summed up with a red factor feed for canaries etc in lutino / albino ringnecks.

None of these people are capable of providing pics of the young as they are pinning, only as quite older birds (obviously time to feed them etc and time to get that result).