Anyone know much about Cockatiel genetics?

Moderator: Mods

TD

Anyone know much about Cockatiel genetics?

Post by TD »

I have a male cinnamon cockatiel that has paired up with a female platinum pearl, which is a mutation only found in Australia at this stage.
If anyone could help with what colour the offspring would be that would be great. I am tipping normal grey, but just want to make sure!
Some pics of the platinum pearl attached if anyone is curious, they're a stunning mutation, will take some better ones soon!
Cheers, Tim.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Lovely looking bird you have there.

Ah... my Cockateil genetics is a little rusty... but asuming your boy is just a regular cinnamon, no splits, and your girl is a visual platinum visual pearl, nothing else...

Females from the clutch should all just be Cinnamon regulars. And the Males should all be visually normal, but split opaline, cinnamon and platinum.

Hope that helps a bit. Wouldnt mind input from someone else... never been into cockateils I admit, more a side interest in the genetics.
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks Fah, definitely helps. Unsure of the splits on each.
That's why I asked on this forum, because someone will always come back with an answer, or at least try to help. I have sent emails to cockatiel breeders, but never got a response. The number of cockatiel mutations around makes it confusing, and I find Ringneck mutations confusing enough, so I will wait and see what comes out of the nest. Cheers.
Fah

Post by Fah »

yeah, I have never bred them personally.. but I do know its almost impossible, if not impossible to get pure birds anymore.

Everything is either split cinnamon or of some mutation, so the only real way that I would guess to know for sure whats in your birds, is to record EVERYTHING that they produce over the years.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

No help here in your tiel geneteics either. Still trying to get my head around the ringies lol

They are lovely birds, a credit to you. :)

I have 2 girls here. A whiteface Platnium and a whiteface pearl. Lovely personalities about them. They are such sweethearts, but I have not been able to spend as much time with them as I should be due to all the babies that I had looked after.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I dug up a few notes from the day (back a fair while sorry, so those cockateil pros out there can correct me if I botched up anything).

There are only 5 mutations that are Sex-Linked Recessive (ie, boys can be visual or split, girls can only be visual or not at all).

Cinnamon

Ino

Pallid (co-dominant with ino... ie; imagine ino and pallid with IRN's)
-aka Platinum

Yellow-Cheek

Opaline
-aka Pearl

All the others are Autosomal Recessive (like the harder to breed IRN's like cleartails etc)

Read up in one of my other posts about how cleartail genetics in Indian Ringnecks work if you want to get a very basic grasp on how AR mutations work.
TD

Post by TD »

Brilliant Fah, thanks so much, at least it's a start. Will definitely follow up.

Cheers PinkDevil, I always seem to have at least a pair of cockatiels, they are great personalities, and lots of fun, and were probably my first succesful breeding bird. My Platinum Pearl hen is a parent raised bird, but is very tame, which is her personality I think. It's their first crack at breeding.
Don't blame you for having no time, I have seen how busy you've been!! Aint it worth it though!
Cheers
Tim
TD

Post by TD »

The 4 babies are a couple of weeks old, and it looks like I have 3 cinnamon, and one normal. So Fah, looks like you were correct! At least I got something this season, even if my Ringies were unsuccessful.

Cheers, Tim.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Thats great Tim, no matter the mutation etc, I cant help but get very excited with and about the young birds... love it.

Glad to hear they went well for you :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Congrats on your little ones TD :)
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks guys, I agree Fah, I wouldn't have cared if they were all normal grey.

I did tell a lie though, that wasn't the only offspring produced, my baby daughter was born on Christmas Eve, 9 weeks early. Very little, but doing fine. Not a bad Christmas present! I think she wanted to be here for Christmas! Just had to share that with you all.
Fah

Post by Fah »

haha congratulations then, very lovely present indeed.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Congrats on your safe arrival of your baby daughter, TD.
Hope mum and bub are doing well.
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks Guys. She's bound to be a birdlover!!
Fah

Post by Fah »

TD wrote:Thanks Guys. She's bound to be a birdlover!!

He says this as he shoves a stuffed plushie of a cockatiel in the bubs arms :P