WORLD FIRST GALAH AND TEIL BABY PICS!

Moderator: Mods

baby_bella

WORLD FIRST GALAH AND TEIL BABY PICS!

Post by baby_bella »

look at this!

Apparenhtly a world first even thou its not IRN related thought you guys might like to see something funny!

http://www.talkingbirds.com.au/worldfirst.php

Enjoy! hehe :lol:
beauty is fleeting, but wisdom never fades it grows stronger each day
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have NEVER known birds to cross-breed like that.

Then again, I didnt know cats could have twins in the same sac and mine just did.

Can anyone elaborate on Gods little suprises?
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

:shock: Who woulda thought?
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

HEHE thats a cute-funny looking thing...! :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

Bam in the faces of all those peeps who say tiels aren't closely related to toos, LOL!

I think the biggest size cross I've seen is between a macaw and large conure.

But this Galatiel is too cute! I could see this becoming a common hybrid perhaps in Aus, but galahs are still so rare in US aviculture I can't think of anyone intentionally hybridizing here.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
baby_bella

Post by baby_bella »

yeah when i saw it i was like i have to post it here! :lol:

does any one have pics of other hybrid birds etc. i would love to see them i think its so interesting?

:?: :?: please post! :!: :!:
beauty is fleeting, but wisdom never fades it grows stronger each day
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

In some states of OZ it is illegal to knowingly breed hybrids so i can't see this becoming a common hybrid. I personally never want to see it again.

The Tiels are closely related to Black Too's. unbelievable huh :!:

I have seen a lot of hybrid Lorikeets, Kakarikis, Plumhead/Ringnecks
Melika

Post by Melika »

This woman breeds hybrid macaws, she keeps good records so they won't be introduced back into pure breeding stock. She didn't sell any of her birds for a very, very long time.

http://www.camelot-macaws.com/directory.htm

It's pretty fascinating.

I used to think hybrids were horrible, against nature, etc.

And while hybrids do not occur naturally, in captivity they can. And usually they are accidental- not intentional. It's becoming a big business here, hybrid macaws, and people spend a great deal of money buying one. I don't think they're more beautiful at all though, lol. They're ugly compared to normal colours- but I feel that way about some IRN mutations!
So hey, hybrids deserve a home too. While the ethics of breeding hybrids purposefully are debatable, it still is a fascinating window in the avian world to explore.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Melika

Post by Melika »

I usually edit to add on, but since this post is different... 0_o

I found some interesting info on Galahs, including that they are often found hybridizing in the wild with other cockatoos, including the lesser sulpher crested.

Just in interesting little tidbit, lol.

And another thing, called Hybrid Vigor.
Where hybrids can be healthier than the parents because the chances of to "bad" recessives meeting are next to none. Hybrid Vigor is actually fairly common.

Though a hybrid that is sterile certainly doesn't do anyone any good.

Verile offspring of hybrids are generally from genetically compatible parents, thereby presenting the Hybrid Vigor issue.

All very fascinating...

note: I'm not trying to introduce the ethical issues of hybridizing intentionally. Just presenting something you may want to research on your own time to be better educated. ^^
Research is fun... :D
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Can you link some of where you read this from? I'd like to read up a bit more on it
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can google info on galah/'too hybrids. But I'll try to pick out relevant data for hybridization. It's not all about parrots.

hybrid vigor: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

pdf file/ hybrids are common: http://www.americanbirding.org/pubs/bir ... 4to235.pdf

Longfeather origin theories; skip to hybridization section of you're in a rush... at times this writer refers to hybrid in the sense of two lines within a species crossing, which speaking in genetics is possible considering when you keep a group isolated the genes do change: http://users.accesscomm.ca/parrot/articles/LFT.htm

heterosis is another term for hybrid vigor

Most of the good info on hybrid vigor in avians is found in books. Not too much online. :(

Now I wonder if perhaps hybridization is normal. The species we know now are productions from hybrid pairings in the past creating a stable base for a new species to breed with itself. So what if hybrids now are simply a continuance of this?
Speaking in terms of in the wild, since hybridization is so common in wild avians.

Today people have an obsession with keeping everything "pure" and old things the same. In the old days, when the water got too high in Venice, they would knock the buildings down and build on top of the old, making them higher. But today it's too "historic" and so it's sinks into oblivion.
If we keep trying to make things pure and preserve everything, would that be going against nature and would we eventually lose what we were trying to save?