Breeding temperature?

Moderator: Mods

SwedenIRN

Breeding temperature?

Post by SwedenIRN »

What is the recommended temperature while breeding irn?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya there... are you talking about for requirements for breeding them indoors or keeping them in general?

Indian Ringnecks are some of, if not the most hardy bird I have bred and probably ever will breed.

I have had birds with eggs in the nest go through temps of 0 degrees at night, through to 35 degrees in the day without ever facing problems with no eggs hatching etc. IRN's are fabulous parents... airing their nesting boxes in hot weather, and both mum and dad will sit with the eggs on cold nights to make sure the temp is good.

The humidity in the air also plays a large role when it comes to parents needing to keep the nesting box cool or warm. Really humid days i can see the hen working furiously to air the box out.. whereas on hot dry days, she just lets them sit, possibly keeping the more humid air inside the box.

Simply said... I would say if you were able to maintain temperatures such as indoors, you would be looking for anything from 18-26. They are a stunningly hardly animal.

Now... if you are worried about environment... temperatures as low as 0 to -1 are ok (mine had one night two winters ago at -2 YIKES!) however, i am sure prolonged weather of those temperatures will put excessive pressure on the parents, their feeding would have to be exceptional, as well as vitamins and warmer days.

Anything above 36-37 degrees celsius and they should really either have ALOT of water available to bathe in, and preferably give them a hose down... or a sprinker outside the aviary to turn on once or twice a day for 15minutes or so.

If this has helped... awsome.. if not... please let us know what exactly you needed the temperature thing for so I could refine on it for you.

EDIT::::::
Regularly my birds go through winter temperatures for prolonged times of 5-11 degree celsius, through to regular summers of 24-37 degrees celsius.