Perches

Moderator: Mods

PuffnFresh

Perches

Post by PuffnFresh »

hey

At the moment i have dowel with a diameter of about 2 - 3 cm. How does this affect his health? does it affect his posture or hurt his feet?

I love in an industrial area, mainly cane farms etc and there is a rare tree and it is very hard to find a nice perch for him. i walk my dog everyday trying to find a perch for him but they are way too thin for him. Does any body no if a pet shop sells these types of perches?

Also, is a mango tree branch poisonous? :?:
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

I'm no expert, but I know if you have the same size perches through out the whole cage, its bad for your bird. It was explained to me like this...

If you wear boots 24 hrs a day for the rest of your life, your going to get arthritis and have problems with your feet... This is because your feet wont be able to use their full range of motion, stretch the muscles and ligaments, and it will basically stay in the same position all the time. Thats not good for you...

Your bird having the same size perches through out his whole cage makes him keep his feet in the same position all the time. So the best thing is to have different sizes and things, which would be best from natrual branches. As you said its hard to find these where you are. Try buying different sized dowel rods and placing them in his cage... or take the ones you have now and sand them down to different sizes. Another good idea would be to find some perches on the internet and have them ship them to you.

Another idea would be to take some all natural rope from a pet store and wrap your perches in it. This will give it a contrast in size and shape. Just what you need!

I have no clue about mango trees... thats something i'll leave up to the others here on the site to tell you about.
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

thanks animal king,

this weekend i will visit the pet store and buy some perches. the rope is a good idea, thanks! :lol:
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

another good Idea is to use rope and tie it to the cross bars of the cage and create perches that way... braid the rope or tie random knots in it... My fid loves it because it like a swing...
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

Yes that i was going to buy at pet store. i think the rope that i have is too thin for him so i need to get thicker rope. i also need to get a swing lol
thanks animalking :lol:
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

Yes that i was going to buy at pet store. i think the rope that i have is too thin for him so i need to get thicker rope. i also need to get a swing lol
thanks animalking :lol: