White or albino?

Moderator: Mods

Linde

White or albino?

Post by Linde »

Hello,
I have an 12 weeks old albino ringneck since 2 weeks now. The mother was white with really dark (I think black) with white/yellow eyes. The father was blue. I was wondering if it is possible to find out what gender my ringneck is according to its parents. I was also wondering if the mother an albino? Or do there excist completely white ringnecks? I asked if the breeders knew the colors of the grandfathers/mothers, but they didn't know. Is here anyone who can help me with this? Tnx!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Hello there,

First off, what you have there are albino's in the true sense. Albino is actually two genes, Ino and Blue. Lutino (yellow) for example is Ino and Green.

Effectively, Ino turns blue white, and green yellow.

Now, if the mother was albino, it means the male had to be split ino (have the ino gene, but not showing it) in order to have any albino babies. It is a sex linked gene. The blue male parent is therefore blue split ino, and the hen albino. This means its a 50% chance of boy or girl... so unfortunately, you wont be able to tell without DNA testing. (you wont know by the ring as albino cocks dont get a ring).

There do exist "white" indian ringnecks, but arent albino birds. I have bred them in the past. Its technically Grey PallidIno. A first generation grey pallidino is visually identical to a grey pallid. If however you put this bird to an albino, its young will more often than not, take on a lighter shade of grey... so on and so forth until you actually have a white bird. The males even though looking like an albino, DO get the black ring. It is a stunning bird to behold in my opinion. And I hope to get back to breeding them soon.

Indian Ringnecks are truely a stunning bird in every sense especially for their variety of genetics. I originally got into IRN's due to that reason.

Hope that helps.
Linde

Post by Linde »

Thanx for your answer! I'm trying real hard, but don't totally understand it. This is what I thought: if the mother is albino, the young is a female to unless the father is split for albino. (so you still can't tell)

But as I hear your story, the mother is probably a white (Grey PallidIno), by the way, she was really beautiful indeed! So she gives the Ino, the father gives the blue, and this makes albino? Is Ino a sex linked gene? If so, I assume the young has to be male in this case, because itr gets the Ino on X chromosome from the mother, so the young will have to X's.

Or the other option is that the father is split for albino and it's a hen, cause otherwise another colour would be dominant?

I don't understand why the father is blue split ino? There was also a blue young, don't know if that matters..?

I'm sorry if I'm asking to many questions, but I'm trying to completely understand it for a while now, and I already got some pieces, but not the complete picture..
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yes, ino is a sex linked gene. In birds, a male needs to inherit copies of the ino gene from both his parents in order to be visually ino. Females can only inherit the ino gene from their father and as a result of this need only one copy of the gene to be visually ino.

Birds are the reverse of humans. A human male has an X and a Y chromosome while a human female has two X chromosomes. A male bird is XX (actually WW, but we'll ignore that for now) and a female bird is XY. The ino gene resides on the X chromosome and since a female bird always passes only the Y chromosome along to her daughters they cannot inherit the ino gene from their mother.

Blue is a recessive mutation. To be albino, a bird must inherit blue genes from both of it's parents in addition to two (if male) or one (if female) ino gene from it's parents.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Linde

Post by Linde »

I think I understand it, but please do correct me if I'm wrong!

If the mother is an albino:
The father has an X and an X-ino.
The mother has an Y and an X-ino.
This means that if their young is a female, it inherited the X-ino from the maile, and the Y from the mother. If it's a male, inherited the X-ino from the father, and the X-ino from the mother. So that is why the father must have an ino gene. And he cannot have two, because than he would be albino.

But than, if the mother is white, and not albino it will be like this:
The father has X and X-ino
The mother has Y and X
This would mean that if it was a male it would have inherited the X(-ino) from the father, and the X from the mother, so the young couldn't be albino. If it is a female it inherited the Y from the mother, and the X-ino from the father, and it would be albino. So if the mother is no albino, the young must be a female.

And the young inherited blue from the mother and father, because it is recessive, if it inherited green from one of both, it would be a yellow bird. And blue is not sex-linked.

Is this right so far? If it is, I understand it :)
Linde

Post by Linde »

I thought of something else. If the mother is white, it is grey pallid ino. So does this mean that she still has the ino gene? But how is it than possible that she has black eyes? And if the mother is white, so actually grey, she could not have passed on the blue gene, and the young could not have been albino, right?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yes. You've got it correct.

Jim
Linde

Post by Linde »

Did I get the last thing correct too? That the mother has to be albino in order to get an albino young?
Jim

Post by Jim »

My "you've got it correct" comment was in response to your first post. I hadn't seen your second post yet. Let's try answering that one too...

Pallidino is a combination of one pallid gene and one ino gene. The pallid and ino genes occupy the same spot on the X chromosome and, therefore, an X chromosome can have an ino gene or a pallid gene but not both. The only way to have a pallidino bird is for the bird to have the pallid gene on one X chromosome and the ino gene on the other X chromosome. Since pallidino requires two X chromosomes only male birds can be pallidino. Your bird's mother can not have been pallidino and is in all likelihood an albino.

Jim
Linde

Post by Linde »

Thank you so much! It's clear :D