Help

Moderator: Mods

SwedenIRN

Help

Post by SwedenIRN »

I´m not så god att enlish but i hope u understand me anyway...

Last year my green irn lay eggs, it was babys inside the eggs but they never hatch, the babys was dead.

What did i do wrong?
Fah

Post by Fah »

There are a few factors that could have been involved.

1. Temperatures, if there was a sudden hot / cold weather pattern at the time. Was weather patciurlarly hard at the time? (common)

2. Bacterial, nesting box is contaminated with either a chemical or bacterial effect that killed the young before hatching. (not overly common, but can happpen in unclean or overly moist environments)

3. Too much calcium, egg shell was just too hard to escape from. (not overly common but does happen)

4. Not enough moisture, is it a very dry area that you live in? And do you provide large water area for birds to bathe? Parents often bathe in dry hot conditions and come back not fully dry, to moisten the nest. Else its too hard for the babies to break out. (common in dry circumstances)

Questions.
Did they start to break out?
At what stage do you know they were at? Fully developed etc?

Cheers.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Another related possibility is that one or both of the parents has a bacterial infection that they are passing along to the eggs. Having an avian veterinarian examine the parents is something to consider, especially if none of the environmental factors that Fah mentioned seem like a likely cause.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month