Help please!!!

Moderator: Mods

harold_roddick

Help please!!!

Post by harold_roddick »

Hello Joyce,

I've had Ava and Smith for about 3 years now, and I have noticed that they go through a molting phase every year (in the summer), but eventually after a few weeks, their feathers grow back and would look as beautiful as before. This year is different though. Ava's feathers seem ok. Her feathers had grown back. But it's different for Smith. He's still a little "bald" in the neck and chest area, and also under his wings. I thought that Ava was plucking his feathers, so I isolated him for a short while. But no changes. I tried observing them closely but I do not think the problem has to do anything with plucking the feathers. I never saw Ava or Smith himself plucking the feathers. What could be the problem here. It's already been like 3 months. Is he sick? Ava and Smith eat the same food though. I don't know what's wrong with him. Could you please help me with this.

Please click on the link below to view before and after pics of Ava and Smith:

http://www.picturetrail.com/ava_smith

Thank you very much.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Every few years they seem to have a heavy molt -- may take several months to be back to their gorgeous selves!
MCS
Fah

Post by Fah »

I must admit its a very interesting pattern the moult has taken. Even a heavy moult should not take 4 months to get through nor be so area specific, well I have not had a bird come close to that length of time myself.

If there are no new pins "new feathers" showing through the neck that you can see progress from, I would just take him in for a vet check to play safe.

I am sure its nothing serious, just a long delayed moult.
Ed Loschi

kinda looks like self plucking

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey,
Your male is plucking his chest/breast feathers but just sniping off the colored bit of the feather leaving the downy alone. Watch him carefully and you'll catch him.

One thing that could be happening too is that the female might be allopreening him and doing the plucking.

His feathering will come back in the next molt.

My fid has been doing this to himself, he is molting now and the pin feathers are evident and hopefully he'll leave them alone this year.

Good luck.