Anyone out there with a Mustache Parakeet?

Moderator: Mods

LisaK

Anyone out there with a Mustache Parakeet?

Post by LisaK »

We just adopted a 7-year-old MP, and I have some questions. I've never been around ringnecks, so there's a lot I can learn. We have a senegal and a grey, and so far, this little MP is vastly different. I hope someone is out there. Or, if this isn't the best forum for MPs, could someone send me in the right directions.

Thank you in advance!
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Buddy - 29-year-old Cockatiel
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Lisa

In my life time I've had a few. I don't have any right now.

MP's are great birds. I seen your list of your pets in your sig. and I don't think you will have a problem with an MP with all your experince with other speicies. Is this a male or female MP? I'd like to see a photo sometime!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Hi Donna,
Thank you for replying so fast! I am new to this forum and would love for you to meet JoJo. How do I attach a photo?

JoJo is a male and the sweetest thing ever -- basically the perfect bird. The Grey is neurotic but smart beyond believe. The Senegal is a noisy trouble-maker but desperately loving. Little JoJo is so different from them. Quiet, sweet, gentle. Very different, but I do have some questions...

Thank you for replying!
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Donna

Post by Donna »

How old is your Grey? I have a 7 year old CAG and I take him to work with me every day. I breed the Timneh grey's.

There is a sticky in the photo forum on how to post pics.
Can't wait to see your JoJo! I'll probably have to run out and get me another one. LOL :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i love them they are really pretty noone sells them in my area. i'd love to see pics too :D
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Hi Donna, our Grey is 7 years old also.

OK, I'm joined Photobucket and will try to insert JoJo's picture. We'll see if this works.

This is the first day we got him, and his feathers still look a little rough. We think he's a lot healthier now that we brought him home and are feeding him better foods.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... ewBaby.jpg
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Well, that didn't work. But at least the link is there. Maybe I don't know what a "tag" is. I just inserted the URL.

If anyone has any advise, please let me know.

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

"advice" -- I mean! LOL! (can't spell apparently)
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

I figured it out! Cool!
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Donna

Post by Donna »

OMG! what a handsome fellow!! With a better diet and some TLC those colors are going to be beautiful in no time. Thanks for the pic!! Good luck with him :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

he is beautiful :D :D just love them. your cockatiel is old how long do they live wow i honestly didnt know they could live that long.
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

He's not supposed to live THAT long! LOL! He really is amazing. We need to tell a Cockatiel association or something, because I'm sure it's very rare for them to get this old. We think he's setting a record!
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

fully you should contact the guiness world records and see
Lila_

29 years old?!

Post by Lila_ »

Hey LisaK

I know you started the thread ages ago but I only just found it - your cockatiel is 29 years old?!
What do you feed him? i have a young tiel girl who rocks my world and i would be a very very happy person if she would hang around that long.
LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Hi Lila,

My husband bought Buddy when he was 19. Back then, nobody knew about feeding birds pellets and fruits and veggies, so poor little Buddy has been on a seed mix his whole life. But apparently it has worked. He is definitely hanging in there. He's pretty grouchy, but he's still here. Oh, and he's got glocoma (sp?), too. So he's blind, which is sad, so he stays in his cage most of the time because that is where he is secure. In addition to seeds, he eats other things like popcorn and an occasional potato chip. And he LOVES millet. But that's pretty much it and he's very healthy! Thank you for your interest! :D
Lisa
JoJo - Mustache Parakeet
Pebbles - Senegal
Dino - Grey
Photoguy77

Post by Photoguy77 »

I have an 8 year old Moustache named Luigi. He was a rescue and came from an EXTREMLEY abusive household. It took me 2+ years...LOTS of paitence, and enduring lots of ungodly painful bites...but I have finally earned his trust to where he doesnt bite anymore, and on good days he allows he to hold him and give him kisses.

I have to say, all the pain and hard work put into this little guy was worth it and then some! I'll try to get a picture to post sometime soon.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Would love to see the pictures of your bird Luigi. I think this type of bird is really pretty.
chipossesue

JoJo is gorgeous1

Post by chipossesue »

Wow-its so cool to see another MP- My boy "Romeo"-a rescue I took to foster about 7 yrs ago-was the 1st MP I ever saw. He also dislikes head touching and just tolerates any touching at all but steps up and is happy to be near people. I think thats pretty typicalof MPs-theyre kind of aloof usually,Im told.
Romeo is now living in an aviary with a female MP; I i felt at the time it would be the happiest situation for him-but I miss him still- its been 3 years- sigh- but I just brought home a baby blue IRN- a total cuddlebug!- Good luck w/your handsome boy! he is lucky to have you...-
crazyparrot

I have 2 female MPs

Post by crazyparrot »

I just recently got 2 female MPs in a trade, they are the green chested variety and I am looking for a male or something (by something I mean either sell the females I have or trade one for a male) If anybody is interested, they're only a year and a half old but I don't think they would make good pets, they're too high strung. I am in Miami, Fl
Please check out my sites at www.southerncockatiels.com and www.crazyparrot.com

Re: Anyone out there with a Mustache Parakeet?

Post by 19266022 »

nice mustache parakeet
Unsozynok

Post by Unsozynok »

Trifles!
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I just got a 2 year old female two weeks ago...still learning a lot about her personality lol.