Lou's got

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

~*Gwennie*~

Lou's got

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

his own carrier now. Which means we're off to get his wings and nails trimmed. oh how he'll hate me! lol. :shock:
~the stubborn one~
Melika

Post by Melika »

Don't let him see you or hear you- then "rescue" him when they're done. ^_~ He'll love you!

How did it go? And what kind of carrier? I'm interesting to see what other members have, as I do not yet have one for bird-only purposes. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Oh car rides are soo much fun until they see the vet. :lol: Definately must get a carrier, I don't have anything to put them in if I needed to take them out. Which is really not good! I used to use a small cage but now they have bigger cages that cant be carried. :? Is it okay to use cat carriers? I saw some pretty pink ones at the warehouse that I'm thinking of buying.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Melika

Post by Melika »

Lauren wrote::D Oh car rides are soo much fun until they see the vet. :lol: Definately must get a carrier, I don't have anything to put them in if I needed to take them out. Which is really not good! I used to use a small cage but now they have bigger cages that cant be carried. :? Is it okay to use cat carriers? I saw some pretty pink ones at the warehouse that I'm thinking of buying.

They're fine as long as the bird fits (including tail). I have a carrier for emergencies but it's currently our mini-dachshund's den... :lol:

If there is ever a fire, I'm just using my pillowcase- it's always in the room with the cage. We have our fire plan for all our animals, lol. And our pre-hurricane plan. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Fah

Post by Fah »

We use these boxes (made by a friend and fellow breeder) for most of our birds.

http://www.adelaidebirdclub.com/abccar.html

There are (on quality boxes anyway) two openings to the carriers. One has a rubber wall over it that is cut like an X so its easy to feed birds in yet almost impossible for the bird to follow your hand back out again. The other opening is a nice clear exit point for when you want to get them out / let them get out on their own.

However, if you have a pampered pet (large one), no matter what the product around is, I have yet been able to beat a small cat carrier lined with a thick cloth / towel.

One thing people get wrong with birds though is space! The idea of a bird in a travel case needing space to move around in is actually wrong. Times of travel can be the most stressfull situation for a bird if just one thing goes wrong and they get scared.. they flap about.. I have seen even the most happy-go-lucky birds go nuts when a horn from a truck or strange siren goes off near-by. Also.. the more space it had in an accident means the more that bird travels through the air before it hits the wall of its carrier!

Since a friend got bumped harmlessly on the rear of their car and said how the bird went crazy after it fell and hit the side wall of its carrier, we started using professional carry cases like you can see in the link above.

You dont let a 2yo sit in the front seat without a child seat / harness... best not to let your feathered kids lap in luxory at the same time. They need cosy area, and be able to see everything, or nearly nothing at all.

Oops! Hijacked thread >.<