cages

Moderator: Mods

cardinal

cages

Post by cardinal »

Hi,

At what age should I transfer babies to a cage? They're just about fully feathered and starting exercise their wings. Also what is a good size flight cage?

Many Thanks
Donna

Post by Donna »

8 to 10 weeks they should be ready for cages. If you plan on selling these babies and keeping them as pets a flight cage would give them too much indepenence and be harder to tame once they go to their new home. Keep them in separate cages and handle them frequently before selling.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
cardinal

Post by cardinal »

Thanks Donna. I'm going to keep these guys as pets. Are they ok living together in the cage? They would probably only be in there at night.

Thanks
Luke
julie

Post by julie »

I had my baby indian and alex in a puppy pen during the day (when I was at home) thats where they learnt to climb and fly. Now they are in a cage. As soon as I come home and let them out they both do the practice flying thing straight away.
Melika

Post by Melika »

cardinal wrote:Thanks Donna. I'm going to keep these guys as pets. Are they ok living together in the cage? They would probably only be in there at night.

Thanks
Luke

They will likely fight, especially as they mature. Some friends of mine have three in a cage and they constantly bite each other's tail feathers off. They are 'okay' pets, flighty and nippy. They aren't like my Hane or my sister's Tsume, who are caged separately but come out to play together. They spend a great deal of time with their birds, but they are still a little wild.

In my opinion, they would make better pets with separate cages. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay