ARE THEY READY

Moderator: Mods

Pringle Bird

ARE THEY READY

Post by Pringle Bird »

I have two IR and they are in breeding season. I have put an breeding box in and the female is in it everytime that I go out to them. THe male also is regurgitating or the female is to one another. DOes this mean that eggs are on the way. The box has been in for a week so far.

Thanks in advance
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Sounds like it, she will be in and out working the nest and coming out to mate, give it about three weeks and she should start laying eggs, one every other day. When she disappears and rarely comes out you could assume and check if she is sitting on eggs. Going from what i remember of my, so far only once time breeding pair. Correct me if I am wrong Jay :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jay

Post by Jay »

On the money Angie :)

You take less credit for what you actually deserve. You are extremely knowledgeable for a neophyte breeder. :wink:

Pringle,

Have they started to actually mate yet? How old are your pair and is this their first shot at breeding? Judging by your breeding season, you must be from the Southern Hemisphere.
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

YEs,

It is there first time breeding and we are in the southern hemisphere. I dont know if they are breeding but the girl spends most of her time in the box and they have both become very teritorial towards me.

The girl is 4 years old and the male is two. The breeders that we got him off said that he would be ready for this season. When he was a baby he was dna sexed so we know that it is defenetly a boy.

Also the males mum is a blue lacewing. He is blue and so is the female. What so you think that the baby colours could be.

Thanks
Jay

Post by Jay »

The male is definitely split to Lacewing so assuming the pair has no other splits, here's the probability of babies:

Blue/Pallid cock x Blue hen
=25% Blue/Pallid cocks
=25% Blue Pallid hens
=50% Blue cocks and hens

** Pallid = Lacewing

At two years of age, the male may or may not be mature enough to breed. To help him out, make sure the perches are mounted rigidly and if you could, trim the feathers around the hens cloaca (butt).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

It can take upto 8 weeks before any eggs are seen
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!