Not quite lift off!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Not quite lift off!

Post by Lauren »

Yoda keeps flapping his wings like crazy but not going anywhere when I put him on the floor, then he'll run and do a hop/skip, then stop and flap some more, then mumble something. He can fly perfectly well even though we've clipped his wings! So what is he doing? He only started this today. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Being silly boy. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

He looks like hes enjoying it. He pins and mumbles stuff after. Hes moulting now and everytime he flaps like this. Lil fluffies go everywhere!
awesome-o

Post by awesome-o »

lol... Charlie does this on her perch. Grabs hold of the perch with her feet, then flaps her wings non-stop for like 10 second intervals....

i THINK she's doing it for like exercise? Because she does it after being asleep or just relaxing a lot.. maybe strechting or waking up her muscles... something like that!!
Owner of 1 ringneck: Charlie
avril

Post by avril »

birds do that to exercise their chest and stomach muscles and to strengthen their wings.

It also helps open and strengthen their lung capacity.

I breed budgies and when i first started many moons ago I was quiet worried but after a lot of research and asking questions of reputable breeders, I was advised it was normal
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx. Now I just have to clean up all the fluffies that go 'poof' when he exersises his wings. :roll:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Yep, Avril is right, the budgies do it A LOT; Magellan and the tiels like to do it too. The canaries and finches usually are actually flying in their cages (the budgies also fly). Only ones who worry me are the foster fids who really bang around. I have put them in two cages instead of one, but don't want to put them in one of my monster cages when their mom can't keep them in it (probably can't even keep them in two cages) They haven't hurt themselves though, just make more of a ruckus than the rest of the fids.
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Ive never seen Gilbert do it. But I think he gets enough exercise flying around the lounge. When he wants exercise he cirles the lounge a few times.

The avairy Yoda was in had about 4 other babies and the parents. The babies were really banging around and instead of landing safely on something they would fly head first into it. But I guessed they were just learning to fly because Yodas much better at landing on things now. They can do some damage if they are spooked and flutter around. I was told if your bird is prone to frights and flutters alot in the cage, remove some perches and other objects that can hurt them overnight just incase. We used to do this with our tiel that had frights alot at night and hurt itself. Just a sleeping perch or happyhut at night.