So am I imagining things?

Moderator: Mods

CatsChair

So am I imagining things?

Post by CatsChair »

In addition to the one tail feather (yes that does seem to be what we are getting)....if I stare long enough it seems that Magellan is getting a lighter blue section on her/his neck. Body color is blue with lots of gray overtones (looks pretty gray when wet). Take a look, do any of your blues have a light blue ring next to a darker section like this? Or is going to turn into something else? (feet are flesh colors, toenails mainly flesh with a bit of melanin; tailfeathers are a bit more turquoise than body but the shafts are slate grey, if that helps; and yes I know the feet look green, but we have been playing with romaine today)--never seem to get the image right, so will try including as photo and as link

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1891917&pid=3195974&myphotos=1

Can't tell if Mag is changing (at the rate everyone is losing feathers, I am surprised they aren't all bald) or if I need to get out more!
MCS
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

try this for an image link.

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Looks like the start of a ring to me.
Nila has one too and after his 6 month molt it is definitely looking more grey and then light blue beneath like your Magellans

You still may need to get out more, but I think it looks like a ring. :D
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Is it much blacker underneath?

It would have to be or no, I dont see a ring yet. Even females have a 'ring' to some degree. Look for it to get very dark under his chin (beak).

Unless, the area is red, and the cam isnt showing the true color. If it has a red hint to it then yes, youre getting a ring. :wink:

Have you had him DNA'ed? Looks very male to me.
~ Mikaela Sky

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Hmm, bottom beak seems to be getting darker, but feathers are not too much darker front & center than on side. I really have no idea if Magellan is a baby or not. S/he had no long tail feathers when I got 'em & it seems that the feathers are changing color a bit in the last couple of months. Of course, that may just be diet (and being spoiled rotten). Since there was no history at the pound, I guess I will never know. Only clues are that we are scared to death of brooms, and very gentle with people. Perfectly happy to just sit on my shoulder for hours (though the earrings are an interesting distraction). Pretty funny, that is a fence in the background, looks a lot like a "people cage" (but not to worry, I do know how to get out, sometimes!) Cheers, MCS
MCS
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Mag is a perfectly normal Blue Ringneck.
Thats how Hens/Juveniles are supposed to look.
She could be going through a 12 month moult, that would explain the change in plumage.