ARN doesn't move or make any noise after wing clipped

Moderator: Mods

Mayyad

ARN doesn't move or make any noise after wing clipped

Post by Mayyad »

Hi
I have a African RingNeck 7 months old, he used to play in his toys and jump around in the cage several times a day, and he used to make sound and whistle in the morning and sometime through the day, but after i clipped his wings a month ago, he just stands still in his location and only moves to eat or drink, i don't remember hearing him making any noise (only when he is scared of something), i don't know what happened to him, like he is having a depression or sick,
After i clipped his wing he is somehow tamed and jumps to my hand if i am wearing a glove (biting issues), and when i put him outside he goes to high place and stand still, he doesn't seems to be happy outside and he prefers to stay in the cage rather than outside (most of times if he was near his cage he just go inside and stay).
Few days ago i noticed that there is many lice on his feathers, i am dealing with it right now, i am spraying him with anti lice spray that i bought from a pet store, and i cleaned the cage with pressure pump and i removed all the old toys and put a new ones.
Can anybody help me to know what should i do, is he sick or something? Is the lice has any effects on his behavior?

Thanks in advance
you replies will be appreciated.
MissK

Re: ARN doesn't move or make any noise after wing clipped

Post by MissK »

Hi. I can only guess at why the bird is not right, so please understand that. Having said it, my first concern was that the bird understands he is now critically impaired, with regards to survival skills, and he might be laying low. Laying low is a survival technique. It's just a guess. I think other people have clipped their birds without such a drastic result, but I have only their word to go on. I clipped my bird once (ONCE) and I think he was worse off for it.

My second, and bigger, concern is the lice treatment spray. Necessarily, a great many insecticides are poisons which rely on the dose being strong enough to kill the pest, but not strong enough to harm the host. Maybe you have heard the saying "the dose makes the poison"? Double check that the treatment is (1) recommended for Ringnecks and (2) being applied exactly as the instructions say. Read the warnings on the container and heed them. Compare the possible negative effects with what you see in your bird.

These are the main thoughts I had for you. Again, just intuition. Has anything else changed recently? Best wishes for your bird!
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Mayyad wrote:Hi
I have a African RingNeck 7 months old, he used to play in his toys and jump around in the cage several times a day, and he used to make sound and whistle in the morning and sometime through the day, but after i clipped his wings a month ago, he just stands still in his location and only moves to eat or drink, i don't remember hearing him making any noise (only when he is scared of something), i don't know what happened to him, like he is having a depression or sick,
After i clipped his wing he is somehow tamed and jumps to my hand if i am wearing a glove (biting issues), and when i put him outside he goes to high place and stand still, he doesn't seems to be happy outside and he prefers to stay in the cage rather than outside (most of times if he was near his cage he just go inside and stay).
Few days ago i noticed that there is many lice on his feathers, i am dealing with it right now, i am spraying him with anti lice spray that i bought from a pet store, and i cleaned the cage with pressure pump and i removed all the old toys and put a new ones.
Can anybody help me to know what should i do, is he sick or something? Is the lice has any effects on his behavior?

Thanks in advance
you replies will be appreciated.

Sad to say I think your buddy feels vulnerable with his handicap.
While clipping can be done and not have negative results, the sad thruth is that it can back fire on people.
And this maybe one of those times. Most people will not tell you when this happens.
I feel clipping is a very last resort and should only be done with very good reasons.
There is not much you can do right now unless you are prepared to Imp him, otherwise you have two options. A vet can pull out the cut flights or at least a few on each side and new ones will grow in. Or wait until his next molt. If you are bonded which seems like you may not be, as he is biting you. You need to go out of your way to be nice and try to convince him you are a friend and love him.
His confidence sounds like it is rock bottom.

I think with most mite and lice sprays that are for birds are ok as long as you follow the label and keep out of his eyes. It only takes two sprays at most. Last time I used a spray I only had to do the one spray. That was for lice. And used the same spray to treat the cages.

These are my opinions only.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

How is your bird? If he is not improving, you should consider taking him to an avian vet as well as the spray you are using. If the bird has lice, I have my doubts as to how well he was being looked after. Not necessarily by you, but whomever had him before you. There may be other issues as well.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm not sure I would say a bird who got lice would have necessarily been poorly kept. They would just need to have contact with a bird or an area where the lice were. --Like kids at school bring home head lice, the bird would just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. If the lice would put out signs, we could prevent our birds contacting them, but they don't. I would say good job for finding out the bird had the problem and trying to address it. That said, now you'll have to be quite careful about the places the bird goes outside. It he picked them up on an outing, they may still be "out there" and you'll have to eradicate them there as well. In particular, he should not go where the nests of wild birds are, especially just after the young have left the nest, as hungry lice would then be looking to relocate.

I'm also interested in an update on how your bird is doing.
-MissK
spouch

-

Post by spouch »

So sorry to hear about that TB, I am sure everyone on this site will keep a look out for them if they surface over here. Sincerely hope that you get them back as I can see they mean so much to you as its not just the value of the items you have lost.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think wing clipping is cruel so why did you do it, perhaps you cut to close t a nerve and it is shock time will heal just be patient.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Heard today Vet says Billie has cancer in her wing, rescued her in 2013 and was her third owner, two prolapses but many years of happy memories now l have to make a weekly report to the vet, if the cancer gets worse he might amputate her wing or l might have her put down if she is in pain hard choices.
Eaut1943

Post by Eaut1943 »

Clipping a bird's wings can be a traumatic experience for them, as they lose their ability to fly and move around as freely as they once could. And lice can cause discomfort and irritation, which can lead to a decrease in activity and vocalization. You should continue treating your bird for lice as you are currently doing, and do something to help your bird feel more comfortable and engaged like provide plenty of stimulating toys and activities in his cage; spend time with your bird each day, and consider allowing your bird to regrow his flight feathers. This can help him regain some of his mobility and independence.
FeatheredNomad

Post by FeatheredNomad »

Given that OP posted this in 2015, I'm sure the situation has developed somehow by now so he probably doesn't see all these newer advice lol