Introducing Taco - In need of some advice please

Moderator: Mods

rapiergv

Introducing Taco - In need of some advice please

Post by rapiergv »

Hello!
I would definitely need some help training/taming my IRN. His name is Taco, but now i'm unsure if it's really a HE :). My father bought him as a gift last year in February, from a local pet store where they said it was a 6 months old boy. He had no ring or anything to prove he was 6 months but i spent a lot of time researching and he definitely was a baby.
He isn't handfed and was very frightened, took me a good 2-3 months just for him to trust me enough to let me walk in the room without flying frantically through the cage, so he definitely had some issues (handling issues maybe?). Took me another 1-2 months for him to take stuff like toys or food from my hand. That's where i got stuck because shortly after that i had to go to college, (in another town), and couldn't spend as much time with him as before (only in some weekends and during the winter vacation).
My mom took good care of him (feeding and attention-wise, spent tons of time with him), but she let him do a couple of huge no-no's: after i went to college he refused to go in the cage at night at she left him sleep on top of the cage and gave him attention when he screamed.
Now he screams like hell almost all the time (ignoring the usual "flock-calls" in the morning, at noon and at night), and he has a big trust issue.
I'm the only person in the house he sits on (i call him and offer him toys and he sits on my arm or shoulder), but i can't get him to step up yet, i want to start clicker training. He also yells a lot when i leave the room, guess he just wants attention. Should i do anything else besides ignoring the yelling so as to train him not to yell?
He's 2.5 years old now and doesn't have a full black ring, does this mean he's, beyond a doubt, actually a she? Also, is it too late to start clicker training? This one is my favorite clicker training video

I have to mention he has a huge biting problem too, i read that if you ignore it it will "wear off" but it's been going on for 1 year now... He doesn't let me touch his toys and comes flying to bite my finger or just defend them.
He also doesn't say anything yet, he just screams and sometimes imitates his toys although he is usually NOT alone, for the most part of the day, and everybody speaks to him a lot, and i mean a lot. I just thought it was a trust thing, because he doesn't trust me yet.
I'm really sorry for this awfully long post, but i would seriously appreciate some advice please! :)
Thank you so much!

Oh and here are some recent picture attached, can anyone say just by looking at the ring if it's a she?

[/url]
sherry

Post by sherry »

I can't tell if your bird is a he or a she. From what I understand they start to show a ring about 2-3 years. You may want to have he/she DNA sexed. As far as your bird issues you are going to have to get his/her to break your bird out of the screaming habits. You will have to ignore his/her screaming and it may take a while until he realized that no body will come running when called. Try talking or whistling to him/her. As fas as the toys it seems that your bird is possesive with the toys-my quaker parrot is like that and I distract him with something else when I need to get his toy or reach into the cage for something. He/ She seems to be a bit spoiled and used to doing things their way. Please let me know how you are doing.

Sherry
5 year old spoiled male Quaker Parrot ( Quakers)
2year old cuddly female cocketiel ( Sunspot)
3 year old male half-tamed IRN ( Pacman)
nick238

Re: Introducing Taco - In need of some advice please

Post by nick238 »

It's a detailed introduction to Taco and these tips are approved by professionals and you can learn from training sessions. There is much more to learn and I think you should need professional advice to solve your concerns.
nick238

Re: Introducing Taco - In need of some advice please

Post by nick238 »

In today's hyper-connected world, digital marketing has become the cornerstone of any successful brand strategy. With consumers spending increasing amounts of time online, businesses must constantly adapt and innovate to capture their attention and drive engagement.
useful reference
see here