Plumhead feeding problem

Moderator: Mods

mitochondrial

Plumhead feeding problem

Post by mitochondrial »

Hi Experts :)
I just got a plumb head yesterday and she is just 1 month old.
The problem is she does not willing to eat anything (like formula, seed, fruit), the pet store owner said we have to feed it 3 times a day (considered she is weaned).
We handfed a quaker before and the plum head is totally opposite in term of passion for food. She didn't flop her wing when we gave her food nor willing to open her mouth when we put the sypringe close ...

we brought it back to the store owner and he enforced her mouth open and inject the formula in...
I wonder isn't "eat" a kinda bird instinct?
and this bird is 1 month old but she can fly (when running away from feeding).\
should we starve it for 1 or 2 days, so she will come to get food?

Please help by giving me some advices about feeding this little poor baby...
Ring Neck

Re: Plumhead feeding problem

Post by Ring Neck »

How is your baby Plumhead doing? Sorry nobody replied. Maybe he should of stayed with the breeder longer to be with the other clutch mates. He could be scared. I hope he is eating for you.
mitochondrial

Post by mitochondrial »

Currently, he is eating formula, but the times of hand feeding him is getting less. In the beginning, he needs to be fed 3 times a day and now just 1 time a day.
He is starting to eat seed on its own and if he is extremely hungry, then he would call me to feed him with formula.

The only problem/concerns now is to get him to eat fruit, such that he has enough water to maintain his body instead of just the water from the formula.
He is starting to become more friendly (at least not too shaky when i try to hold him and touch him).

He is really cute and hopefully can grow up with more feathers... (his chest is bold if got wet)
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

That is good news, hopefully he becomes very tame for you. Plumheads are beautiful birds and I wanted one for a while.
mitochondrial

Post by mitochondrial »

The worst is they don't like to be a pet bird. They don't like to let people touch them or sticking finger infront of them.
That's what my friend told me...:(
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

I have never heard that plum heads are like that, maybe I won't get one. Let us know how he is doing.
Hulgegen

-

Post by Hulgegen »

My second question pertains to feeding the tank. If I feed my tank more will I see results faster, meaning will the algae on the screen, the green kind show up faster? More bulbs plus heavier feedings?
Hulgegen

hi!

Post by Hulgegen »

How is your baby Plumhead doing? Sorry nobody replied. Maybe he should of stayed with the breeder longer to be with the other clutch mates. He could be scared. I hope he is eating for you.

The nice answer!