How to clip my Alexandrines nails?

Moderator: Mods

seanandnik110909

How to clip my Alexandrines nails?

Post by seanandnik110909 »

They are a bit long now and would like to know how easy is it to do this at home or is it best going to see a vet?

Thank you :)

Re: How to clip my Alexandrines nails?

Post by 19266022 »

I tried to clip our IRN's claws. We ended up at the vet to get a claw quarterized. the vet said never trim them use sandpaper perches ect.
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Hi this is my first post on this forum, but will jump right in on this.

Nail clipping is fairly easy to do. But if you are not used to doing this it would be better to get a vet to show you the first time.
And you need to have some way of stopping the blood flow if you do cut the quick.
Consider buying the correct nail clippers, they do not crush the nail like human nail clippers do.
And when you do trim only trim a small amount at any one time, you can always take a little bit more with a second cut.
Get someone else to help hold the bird, until you become confident and can do it yourself.
Always remain calm and if the bird gets stressed out let it go and try again another time.

I hope this helps you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have a pro do this.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

I take it you have never seen a parrot hold out it's foot to have it's nails trimmed?
And seeing this tells me that it does not have to be traumatic. Good training and being positive, it is simple to do.
And as for dark nails, it is the same as with any nail you should only be looking at removal of the very end and therefore should not be clipping the quick.
When you clip the nail back to far and damage to the quick is when they get hurt and dislike you.
I have taken blood doing this for DNA and it is as simple as just clipping a very small amount at any one time, until you get just a small spot of blood and in this video I show how simple it is to do and how quick the bleeding stops when done right.
sorry am not allowed to post links yet?
Look up clawnz on You Tube or type in Taking Blood for DNA testing
MissK

Post by MissK »

HAHAHA!

Clawnz, you just come on over any time you want to have a try. :lol:
:)
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Thanks I would be happy to do this for you.

I agree with you that some can be freaky.
But after doing a fair number I find that they do deal with it.
But as like with yours if you cannot handle it, the towel is the only way to do this.
But it still does not need to be that traumatic for them. Being positive and relaxed does make a huge difference.
I am a great believer in positive reinforcement and have seen Barbara Heidenreich in action twice now.
Reading body language and the emotion you put out are very important. Only once have I let a bird go and gone back to trim at a later date. That was the first time I did that bird. I have now trimmed it's nails 3xtimes and it will come to me with in minuets of finishing the trim.

And here is one for you and will back up what you are saying.
A person takes their Tiel to the vet to have a check up and it's nails clipped. While trying to clip it's nail it panic's and escaped their hold. Flew into the wall twice. There was a video of it walking around the bottom of the cage not very well, more than likely concussed. It was very lucky to survive.
So yes it can go wrong when the wrong people try to do this. In this case it turned out it was just a vet nurse not the vet who tried to do the nail clip.

I think another comment you made was about someone else being the monster? And in a case like yours this does hold good. And I do understand what you are saying.
But on the other hand for some reason I cannot explain to people I do not seem to have this problem and I find all the birds I have done so far will forgive me in very short order!
I do have away with our feathered friends not many will ever achieve.
As I will confirm, when I reach enough posts to put links up.
But if you feel you would like to check me out you can find me clawinnz on photobucket and You Tube.
I have just completed my first Bird Presentation to 200 people on bird welfare, and interaction with them.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK wrote:I have a pro do this. My bird's nails are dark. I am not familiar with them enough to know where to expect the quick to lie. While I am pretty good at doing my canaries' nails, they are small and easily managed even when unwilling. Their nails are light. I clipped a light-nailed but spastic Budgerigar recently, and nicked the quick. Blood everywhere. I was prepared with styptic powder but I still felt like a bloody killer. I can't imagine doing this with a dark-nailed, frightened and unwilling Ringneck. Truthfully, as well, I would rather my bird does NOT associate this upsetting activity with me. I prefer to be the angel who rescues him from the evil clutches of the vet.

-MissK
Do you still have a vet to cut Rocky's nails MissK

My vet wants £55 to cut Billie's nail but is a sandpaper perch enough to trim the nails?

AJPeter
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

AJPeter wrote:
MissK wrote:I have a pro do this. My bird's nails are dark. I am not familiar with them enough to know where to expect the quick to lie. While I am pretty good at doing my canaries' nails, they are small and easily managed even when unwilling. Their nails are light. I clipped a light-nailed but spastic Budgerigar recently, and nicked the quick. Blood everywhere. I was prepared with styptic powder but I still felt like a bloody killer. I can't imagine doing this with a dark-nailed, frightened and unwilling Ringneck. Truthfully, as well, I would rather my bird does NOT associate this upsetting activity with me. I prefer to be the angel who rescues him from the evil clutches of the vet.

-MissK
Do you still have a vet to cut Rocky's nails MissK

My vet wants £55 to cut Billie's nail but is a sandpaper perch enough to trim the nails?

AJPeter

No I feel the perches are no good and they should not stand on them for any length of time or be allowed to chew them.
As MissK says it is sometimes best someone else gets the blame.
I have heard this said a few times and can understand the feelings.
Personally I have not had this issue. I am positive with them and do not take too much pooh.
On the odd time I have felt the bird was stressing out I have backed off, let the bird go home for a few days and then had another go.
They do need to know you are not a killer. Get that across and they can settle down and let you get on with it.
The other comment I did not make above is 'What is the reason for clipping?' If it is just because of getting scratched then a nail file or pet nail grinder will do the job.
If on the other hand the trimming is due to over grown nails. (and this can be for several reasons) then correct nail clippers are used.
With real long over crown nails (like deformed feet where the nails do not contact anything so keep on growing) then I will clip every 4 t0 6 weeks. This give the quick time to recede before the next clip. And yes sometimes I will accidentally clip into the quick and get a bleeder. As long as you are ready and set up this is never a big deal.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well Clawnz the vet offered to cut Billie's nail for half price £25 and he said after that he had used something to staunch the flow of blood. She could not stand on her perch for a weeks, by the way l was offering parrot pooh at bargain prices last year and l still have some left would you be interested ina barrow load at half pruce?
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ! I'm shocked! :o
I would be very dissatisfied INDEED with that treatment. I'm so sorry Billie suffered that treatment. Did the vet mention how come he botched such a simple procedure?
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

AJPeter wrote:Well Clawnz the vet offered to cut Billie's nail for half price £25 and he said after that he had used something to staunch the flow of blood. She could not stand on her perch for a weeks, by the way l was offering parrot pooh at bargain prices last year and l still have some left would you be interested ina barrow load at half pruce?
No! I am Ok for bird pooh right now. Just had two Rainbow Lorikeets in boarding. Makes my flock of 8 birds kind of good to look after. Messy is not the word and the 26yr old was smelly as.

I would not be going back to that vet. That sounds so sad. It should not be that easy to cock nail trimming up.
Was it due to grip that she could not hang on to a perch or did she seem to be hurt due to the nails being cut back too far?
Styptic Powder is normally used to stop blood flow. But one should only get a small amount of bleeding even when catching the end of the quick.
On dark nails I would prefer to have a little clip take a look to make sure there is no dark spot, if no sign, clip a little more.
Twenty Five Quid would buy you a good medical nail clippers. And I think styptic powder may cost you ten quid in the UK.
Most pets shops here do it for free. And I know I do not charge at all. I do it for the birds not their owners.
I must admit I do remember one person who had a worse experience than you at a vets. That one lost grip on the bird and it flew into a window and had concussion for days after. I cannot remember if it lived or not. All I can remember is the owner was beside himself with stress, watching his bird flop about in the cage.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I do it for the birds not their owners.
I like this. I am this way, too.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Good point M, the vet said that becasue she had never had her nails cut the veins had grown under the nail. I have that problem with my toe nails, l cut them about twice a year and it is a bit of a struggle to reach over a corporation and the clippers l use are quite large so it best to grab a toe bring the clippers to bear and as soon as l feel nail l clip. The trouble that the skin has grown under the nail and l nearly fainted when l took half the toe on on a clip. Now l hobble and if l cannot be trusted to clip my toenails how can you expect me cut Billie's
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks M l will keep my eye open.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My Alexandrine's nails were not clipped for over 5 years but recently l took her to chipped and the vet said her nails were fine. Are you using sanded perches?