My new irn keeps on biting me

Moderator: Mods

Parrotlover101

My new irn keeps on biting me

Post by Parrotlover101 »

Hello so i would like to introduce myself, i have gotten a new green indian ringneck. I got him about 1 1/2 months ago. He is healthy and happy he is also really active outside and inside the cage. Today i need to ask a few question

1. When i go near his cage and try to pet him he will try to bite me. (i know you guys think that he isnt tame, but he is outside of his cage he will never bite anyone.)
2. Lately when i go to pick him up he will start biting his nails is this normal?
Donovan

Re: My new irn keeps on biting me

Post by Donovan »

I have a young bird, under 6 months old. For a while he let me pick him up, pet him, or just whatever. Now, he'll bite when I do. This is just a reminder that they're not stuffed animals, or cats or dogs. The biting is just way of saying, "I'd rather not right now"

Having an irn means having a partnership moreso than ownership. So, when my bird bites at me, he just touches and makes an ugly noise and he knows thats all he has to do.

So, if your arm hurts when you bend it, then don't bend it anymore.

You almost need your bird's permission to touch it. I still pet and pick up my bird but only when he's cool with it.

I have another bird that I forced into being held because I didn't know better. So now guess what, he's jumpy and nervous and will most likely never accept a hand being too close to him.