When can I let my IRN out for the first time?

Moderator: Mods

Jasonj

When can I let my IRN out for the first time?

Post by Jasonj »

This is the third day since bringing my bird home and he is eager to get out. He is restless and constantly climbing round and round his cage.
He is taking treats I drop in his food bowl, but won't come near my hand for one. He does however come up close to me as his cage is next to my chair, so he has got over the culture shock of moving homes to here.
This morning he called out twice.
I'd love to see this bird have some exercise as he is restless, but how do I get him to return to his cage without capturing him and breaking his increasing trust?
Shall I leave him shut in for a few days?
sanjays mummi

Re: When can I let my IRN out for the first time?

Post by sanjays mummi »

When I got Sanjay, he was eight weeks old and in a nursery cage, he arrived on a Saturday. We left him alone and only did the bare minimum until the Monday, sitting next to him, talking to him etc. When he stopped panicking each time I put my hand in his cage, We let him out, but getting him back in was problematic, so then, I let him out whilst I cleaned his cage, still do, and found that if I didn't put his fresh food in until I was ready for him to go back in, it acted as a magnet. When the cage was too small, evidenced by pacing and climbing the walls repetitively, we got him the biggest cage we could afford and the pacing etc stopped, he can fly around inside it, but he still comes out daily, and can't wait to go back in for his fresh food. It takes time and patience, but you will get there.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

You can let him out when he's used to his new cage and environment. He'll know the cage is home base
MissK

Post by MissK »

My opinion is that as soon as he understands what getting food in the bowl looks like and he will go to that food when you place it, then it's OK. The reason is that you will let him out before his meal and then serve the meal inside the cage. He *should* go home for the food. You have to stand well out of the way so that you don't block his return to the cage and you serve the food far in the cage enough that he isn't lingering near the doorway and bolting when you approach to shut the door. When you do shut the door, if it doesn't upset him, you add a great treat or even just more food to the bowl, and be extra gentle. Allow plenty ( I mean PLENTY) of time for this or you may run into the problem of having to call work and explain you can't come today because a bird won't go home.... :wink: It also pays to block off the room so there is only so far he can go, and cover the windows, of course. Don't leave him unattended.
-MissK
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Well, I let him out lol
He goes between the top of his cage (which is open) and the budgie cage (which he is fascinated with this little bird). The budgie is talking to him and feeding him between the bars. I'm not so sure this is a good thing?
Anyway, he smacked into the window twice and soon learnt he can't go through it. His flying skills are not that good and I'd say he has never fully flown before.
He found a monkey nut on my chair and took it to the budgie to eat it. He loves the budgie playground.
He lets me near him as long as I don't put my hands too close- he is definately comfortable at my presence and won't flee from me. I may be able to get him to perch on the end of a long stick.
I'm going to leave him to explore for a while as he seems quite relaxed and inquisitive.
I've hidden the monkey nuts cos I think this bird is a bit artful.
Watch this space..
MissK

Post by MissK »

Aw, that sounds great. I'm excited. My IRN also loves a Budgie.
-MissK
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

I'm too scared to let the budgie out as one nip from the irn could kill or seriously wound him. But seeing the budgie on my hand and shoulder would prove to him that I'm not the enemy. The budgie could be a useful training aid. They look like their snogging, but the budgie is definitely passing seed.
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

After an hours exploration he took himself back into his cage for a slice of Apple, a monkey nut and a nap.
The only thing he is wary of is my hands.. And the only thing I'm wary of is this bird is too intelligent for his own good! It's all trial and error for me, and I hope I don't mess him up.
I'll get some pics and footage of him and the budgie collaborating.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Jason, I agree - one unfortunate move could be disastrous, even fatal, for Budgie. Better safe than sorry.

Your Budgie *will* be a useful training aid. Let him model behaviours over time.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well!, that went smoother than expected, I am pleased for you both.
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Ah thanks.. This bird has taken me by surprise and been better than I thought. Perhaps he is only 5months old and learning quickly. This evening he has given out 4 single squeaks, which is quite loud but luckily (or unluckily, whichever way you take it) I'm deaf to high pitched noises. Which also means I can't hear him rattling the cage as he climbs about :D haha