Training a cautious Indian ring neck parrot

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Dlmcwilliams

Training a cautious Indian ring neck parrot

Post by Dlmcwilliams »

Hello friends! I have just adopted a five year old Indian ring neck who is very cautious. Any tips on training her to be trusting?
MissK

Re: Training a cautious Indian ring neck parrot

Post by MissK »

Hi. Spend quiet time in the same room, eat together, avoid startling behaviour, and use the SEARCH function to learn more here.
-MissK
Dlmcwilliams

Post by Dlmcwilliams »

When hand taming her to be more trustworthy, in your opinion should I keep her isolated from the rest of my birds?
MissK

Post by MissK »

You would isolate her for quarantine.
-MissK
Dlmcwilliams

Post by Dlmcwilliams »

We isolate her for training, I have five birds all together who will all be going to the vet shortly and implanted with chips while there because we like to let them fly. So we are not clipping wings. Our Indian ring neck is used to being able to fly but we also don't want to traumatized her when putting her back in her cage because she is so afraid of hands and people in general. So what we are doing is holding an apple inside her cage for twenty minutes every day. Would it be a distraction to her training if we were to introduce her to the other birds? Would she be able to be trained at all? Will she ever like our hands like our conjure does? She is very affectionate and loves to be touched but is very young. Any tips on training?