My poor IRN Blue got seriously injured & cant stand...HELP

Moderator: Mods

BrittanyHertig

My poor IRN Blue got seriously injured & cant stand...HELP

Post by BrittanyHertig »

:cry:
I have a 3 yr old indain ringneck named blue. She got seriously injured because she was biting stepdad sacked her off of him. I don't know the full details about what exactly happened. This injury accured March 8th 2014. She can't stand, walk or even sit she always falls over. It breaks my heart to see her like this. She trys to get around with her beak and drags her feet behind her, every effort she has to get up she is so out of breathe and noramlly falls right back over. I brought her to the avain vet and said they think she has a upper respitory infection, low calcium defiency, and low vit.A. They didnt take any xrays of her. They said it would be over $2,000 and I just cant afford that. Ever since her meds she has became increasingly weaker. I hand feed her, give her a mixed pedialyte so she isnt dehydrated, cuddle her in a blanket and sing to her everyday. She is constantly trying to rip the blanket apart and bite me which she never has done before. She picked me as her mate. I have her on a mixture of baby food fruit... pears, mango, peaches... nuts, and a mixture of parrot food. She eats on her own but pretty much falls into it beacuse she cant stand and is so weak. I am trying everything I know, but I need help from other IRN owners that have gone through this same type of thing or knows someone that has gone through this can can help give me some helpful advice. I was told by the avain vet to put her in a padded cat carrier which she is in now with a heater to keep her warm. Please any help i would so greatly appreciate. She is my baby and it kills me to see her like this and I'm really not to sure how to help her. Thanks so much, Brittany

Ps. She used to talk all the time and in the begginning of the injury would only purr when I sang and pet her. Now 3 weeks later she makes no sound and is always panting because she is always out of breathe from falling over and biting everything.
Kappa

Re: My poor IRN Blue got seriously injured & cant stand...HE

Post by Kappa »

It doesn't sound very good at all and your vet seems to be taking advantage of your situation.
If the bird didn't have any problems walking before there is no way it could be a vitamin deficiency.
You are not very clear as to the nature of the incident, but from what I can make out is that the bird was hit in some way. An X-ray should have been a obvious thing to do as it sounds like she may be paralysed, and potentially have a broken spine. Clearly the effort she is putting into getting around is exhausting her and causing her weight loss. Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you.
BrittanyHertig

Post by BrittanyHertig »

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself well...I am very stressed and worried about Blue. After the accident happened which I believe she was hit hard, My husband and I took her immeditaley to our house and took care of her. She was unable to walk, and eat. She was brough to an avian doctor and they took x-rays of her and said she had internal bleeding and bruised ribs but something told me differently. After she got out of shock she started eating again and the vet prescribed her with anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and pain med. We felt as if she just wasnt getting better and needed a second opinion so we took her to another avain vet, they said she was dehydrated, low calcium, low vit. A, and upper resporitory infection put her on calcium 33mg/Vid D 33mg every 12 hours, Antifungal 10mg every 12 hours, and Antibiotic every 12 hours. The avain doc said to come back in 2 weeks and have X-rays and blood drawn but it could kill her due to how stressed she gets around going in the car and being around people she doesnt know. Before all the meds a couple days after she got out of the shock of the accident she could atleast stand and her neck wasnt so weak, could even hold herself up with her beak on the cage. Now after new meds 5 days later from seeing vet she is so much weaker very unable to lift head, and can't stand at all, nonless walk. I barricate her on both sides with soft towels so she doesnt fall over and can rest. I hold her alot during the day to feed her, give her pedialyte mixed with babyfood pears and she falls asleep in my arms. I still have hope for her and will not give up. I feel as if she doesnt need any of those meds and needs to get xrays done.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, if you want Xrays and you're the owner, you can tell the vet you just cannot be comfortable until she gets Xrayed. Bear in mind that the vet will know about fixing birds, unless they are a FAKE avian vet. By that, I mean a dog and cat vet who maybe likes birds, maybe keeps birds, but has not been certified in bird care. Those vets probably feel confident and mean well, but they will be out of their league with your little bird.

In all truth, it sounds not good for your bird. I am reminded of a friend whose bird was picked up by a dog. The bird's femur was injured, and as terrible fate would have it, this bone was associated with the lungs. The bird died because the lungs were compromised. That's just how the bird body works. I'm not saying this is what's happening to Blue. I'm trying to make the point that whatever got injured at the start may be affecting something else in a worse way.

I really hope you can find out what's wrong with Blue and get her the right help from the right vet.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sorry to hear your story. Has your vet recommended a formula or something to feed her? I'm not an expert, I just remember someone saying that sick birds should get extra protein while they are healing. It might be worth talking to your vet about it?
Good luck.