no noise

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

sammy 80

no noise

Post by sammy 80 »

hi i have had my irn spike for just over a year now and he dont make any noise at all i talk to him loads he has loads of attention he has plenty of toys and a mirror in his cage but he just dont make any noise at all
MissK

Re: no noise

Post by MissK »

Sammy, if I were able to select a "problem" to endure with my IRN, silence would be at the top of my list! A quiet bird will not get on your nerves with a lot of chirping, endless language repetition, squawking, squeaking, screaming, shrieking, etc. So don't be so unhappy with this. However, there may be a medical or social reason he's quiet.

The first thing I would look at is the environment. If it is always quiet where he lives, he will be quiet as well. Nature has provided him the instinct to stay quiet in a quiet circumstance so he isn't the only parrot squawking when a predator comes by. Wouldn't last long that way. You can play parrots on You Tube, wash the dishes, run the vacuum, sing with the radio, have friends over to talk near him, to provide environmental noise. For example, every bird in my house mouths off when my dogs bark.

It is possible he did not learn to make noises in his very early life, by being kept in isolation. I feel he should have some natural noises, but it is also true they learn a lot from others around them. We recently heard, on this forum, of someone who's bird stopped making the noises it made when he got it, and now only makes the noises it hears in his home.

You should also evaluate his health. A sick bird will want to keep a low profile, which may include quietness. If quietness is a new habit, he should absolutely go to the vet. If he was always quiet and never made a sound, it's even possible there's something wrong with his mouth, tongue, or related structures.

These are just my thoughts. Others may have something else to contribute.
-MissK
sammy 80

Post by sammy 80 »

thank you for the reply he has always been a quiet bird he happily steps up and sits on the couch with me i do play parrot sounds to him on youtube a few times a day the house is quiet through the day while kids are at school i use that time to interact with him im hoping he is just a quiet bird we have just got another irn hoping that will incourage him to make noises i will keep updates over the next couple of weeks on how they r getting on :)

spike rio &sammy
MissK

Post by MissK »

I bet you'll hear some more noises with another bird in the house. Just remember, if the environment is quiet, BOTH birds will respond with silence. Nature will "protect" them both this way at the same time. My bird is pretty quiet, and I love him for it! He's a gem.
-MissK
sammy 80

Post by sammy 80 »

hopfully it will bring him on rio is a very noisy irn he dont stop chatting all day we r still in the process of introducing them to each other they r still in seperate cages but seem to be happy being next to each other and no fighting when they come out of their cages of a morning and will happily share a perch together on top of one of the cages so hopfully be in the same cage soon i will keep updates on how they r getting on thanks for all the advice very much apriciated spike rio & sammy