Behavior Help Please for a newbie

Moderator: Mods

Racheal

Behavior Help Please for a newbie

Post by Racheal »

I have a young IRN he/she hes been very sweet and friendly ect but in the last weeks he/she has been biting Me a lot I don't know what Happened, Is this bluffing?
He/she is now leaving marks and is taking skin off I don't react to hes Naughty behavior, but he just wont stop, Could I wear a glove?
Also He/her has been pining he's Eyes and fluffing up hes head feather and making a deep growl sound Is he angry?
InTheAir

Re: Behavior Help Please for a newbie

Post by InTheAir »

I don't know about bluffing, I haven't experienced it.

To me, it sounds like your bird is upset.
I don't think gloves will do anything to fix what is going on, force tends to have a very bad effect on ringnecks.
Biting is usually a line of defense for a parrot.
I recommend looking over this website throughly http://www.behaviorworks.org/htm/downlo ... heets.html there are some great articles too and watch the pocket sized behaviour videos. That is probably a good start.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Re: Behavior Help Please for a newbie

Post by MissK »

I would say that since you see the warning signs you should take steps to avoid being bitten. Dodge or block, or give a little space when you see it coming. Prevent biting from becoming a successful strategy now, before it becomes a regular tool in Birdie's box.

I had some entertaining success with my bird coming to bite fingers that were resting on the outside of the cage by popping seeds into the mouth as it came for my finger. It was very surprising for the bird, but in short order he was approaching to look for a treat, and not to bite.

You can use the Search feature on this forum for more help on biting.
-MissK