new irn

Moderator: Mods

new too irns :)

new irn

Post by new too irns :) »

so i just got my new irn today hes green and 4 weeks old. i havt owned a parrot before but i know how too hand feed birds as ive rescued a few in my time. is it normal for him too just lay in his blanket ? its like he cant stand up
Donovan

Re: new irn

Post by Donovan »

well he's 4 weeks old.. it was a little early I think so i would have to say yes.. for now it's probably ok.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Can he hold any weight on his legs at all? Can he hold his head up at all? At this point they should be able to move around pretty good. How is his feather coverage? Are you keeping track of his weight gain? Is he enthusiastic during feeding? How does his crop look? Is it hard or soft? Is it emptying between feeds?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

hes 4 weeks old. ive had him less then 24 hours. i left him the day and abitv the night too let his crop empty because he was just fed by his parents. i fed him thi morning but he hasnt realised what im doing i dont think. like hes not bobbing his head when im near him with his food. also lastnight i heard a like clickingish sound when he was breathing.. really freaked me out. is that normal ? it only seems too happen when hes sleeping/resting.he can just hold his head up a littl bit. but when he runs its more of a scuttle.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

How much are you feeding him? I fear that you let too much time pass without feeding that baby. He may be weak. Did the breeder give you any instruction?

ive fed him about 9ml since i got him. his crop was full when i got home. his poop seems fine. hes just came out of an aviey he was fed by his mum up till now. could it be hes not used too being inside rather then in his aviery ?

any1 wanna shed some light for me :)

any1 wanna shed some light for me :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

There is a sticky post http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799

I know nothing about the topic, we got both our birds after they were weaned.

If you read through the section of tthe forum called breeding irns you will also find other threads that may be helpful. I recommend posting questions in that part of the forum, as this people interested in breeding and rearing birds tend to read posts in that area.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sorry, it's been a busy week for me. I still believe your IRN is weak from lack of food. Your bird should be consuming about 50ml of formula in a 24hr periods at 4wks old. 9ml is nowhere near that. I would increase feedings at this point to every 2-3 hours. Maintain proper warmth of formula. And make sure the crop is full and smooth to the touch. Your bird will not exhibit a feeding response from hand feeding yet because it has been parent fed until now so you need to elicit that response yourself. Place your fingers on the outside of the babies beak and place the tip of the syringe to the corner of the left side if the beak to begin the response. Please do not force the feed though, because you can easily cause the baby to aspirate the formula. If the chick is too weak to feed, you will need to contact a breeder to perform gavage feeding or see if your AV vet can help you.

even when i got him he wasnt full of life per say. his crop was full tho. he seems too be taking his food better but he doesnt give me a message too know hes hungry.il carry on feeding every 3 hours and let you know how i get on :) thanks for your help