Rescued Young Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Steph

Rescued Young Ringneck

Post by Steph »

Hi guys

I rescued a young Ringneck yesterday morning. I found it in a park while walking the dogs, the dogs went after the ringneck who couldn't fly and I managed to grab it before the dogs got a hold of it. It had been raining and storming the afternoon and night before and I think the Ringneck fell out of the tree in the park. The tree was really high and there was no way I would be able to get it back up in the tree.

I've took the Ringneck home with me and have decided to adopt it. Once the Ringneck dried a little, it was able to "fly" a little. We've clipped its wings so that it can't fly away or hurt itself.

I think the ringneck is still really young, it still seems to have some "fluff" under its feathers, and it's eyes haven't formed the red rings around it yet (it's a green ringneck), and the ring around its neck is very faint and green. I'm going to guess, based on pictures, that its rougly 9 - 13 weeks.

I don't really know anything about these birds, but I want to learn as much as possible. I've been on the net doing some research, and I came across this site which seems to be by far the most helpful so far.

The Ringneck's beak seems quite soft, and I don't think it can bite through seeds or hard pellets yet. I've been feeding it grated apple and squashed pumpkin for now, and some tomatoes (which he seems to love, but I read you shouldn't really feed a ringneck to much of this?). I want to make sure that the Ringneck is getting enough nutrients in its body. I'm also concerned that its stools are a little runny (probably from the apple and tomatoes), and I want to make sure it doesn't get diarrhea. I'm also concerned that it's not drinking water? I'd be grateful for any assistance that can be offered!

I'm going to buy it a cage this afternoon, it's about 800 (h) x 500 (w) x 500 (d) mm - I hope that this will be big enough. It's similar to an African Grey type of cage with a roof that opens.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Steph

PS. India (the Ringneck's name) seems quite comfortable with me/human interaction, happy to sit on my shoulder and walk on my hands.
MissK

Re: Rescued Young Ringneck

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'd advise to not clip the wings any further, should there be any question of it. It's very important that a young bird learn to fly properly. There may be long-lasting impact if it is not allowed to do so. What's done is done, so don't look back; just don't clip again until you know it's good with the flying.

Also, karma suggests it would be a good thing to look for a previous owner, just in case.

I am not familiar with keeping baby birds. If your bird has not been weaned, you will have to get instruction on feeding it specially. However, the unweaned bird does eat what the parent birds eat, just processed through the parent bird. You might want to grind foods before you offer them if you think the bird has not been weaned. I believe there's more to it than that, but in a pinch with no other info, that's what I would do. DO NOT prechew the food yourself. Human spit contains elements that are very bad for birds.

Others may give opinion on feeding, but one thing you can do right now if the bird is old enough to eat normal food is to soften the pellets with warm water. Drain and let them cool before the bird eats. You can also offer steel cut oats and cracked wheat in the same manner. Also please offer the bird some leafy greens, such as kale, brussels sprouts. Spinach has something not so great in it, so DON'T give that for now. Another great food to offer would be sprouts. You can give bean sprouts, though I have read beans themselves must be cooked, so maybe pull the original bean off just to be safe. Alfalfa sprouts would be another good choice. Cooked corn should be readily accepted, though this should not be a main food, more of a treat. Be sure the bird eats some dark leafy green vegetable and some yellow/orange coloured foods like carrot, yam, orange bell pepper. This is necessary for the vitamins they contain as well as other phytonutrients. You know how they say "eat your colours" - it's for birds, too. I might offer organic, canned chick peas (garbanzo beans) as long as there is nothing added and you rinse them.

DO NOT GIVE apple seeds or the area of apple right around the seed. Skip the onions and avocado. Do not let him have the pit of stone fruits. Do not give human food unless it is a whole and natural food. For example, you can give a peanut or peanut butter, but nothing that contains the sugar and salt peanut butter for humans usually has. You have to choose the kind made of nothing but peanuts. That's just an instance. Peanuts are not a main food, but a treat. You can give cooked whole grain rice, not parboiled or Minute Rice. Processed food will have additives put in and in many cases nutrition removed. Sorry Humans.

Best wishes.
-MissK