new indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

alexander6

new indian ringneck

Post by alexander6 »

i have recently bought an indian ringneck parrot but was told the previous owner hadnt looked after it it is very afraid of us now and we would like to know how to stop it from being afraid we bought it 8 days ago
Skyes_crew

Re: new indian ringneck

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi and welcome :D you've come to the right place for tips on how to tame your ringneck. To start out, do a search of the forum for specifics related to your situation and see what others have done to try to fix it. If in the end you still have unresolved questions ask away :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Alexander, and congrats on your new addition.

I think the first thing to do is to get your bird comfortable being around you, let it see you doing your day to day things, spend lots of time in the same room as the cage, eat in front of it and take naps in front of it-as they eat and sleep together in their flocks. It sees you as a predator at the moment and it just needs to get used to your prescence for awhile before its confident enough for you to get nearer the cage, then you can start working towards giving treats through the bars.

Do you have a name for him/her yet?
Loo :)
alexander6

Post by alexander6 »

i have had my irn for about 3 weeks now everytime we put our hand inside the cage to put food in it goes beserk and is scared even when we walk past the cage i dont know what the previous owner was like with it but when we bought it it was in a cage with nothing in just a couple of twigs that had been brought in from the garden and what looked like cigarette burns in the bottom of the cage
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Aww poor thing.

Firstly I wouldn't put your hands in the cage other than when you are cleaning it out etc, and do this very gently and slowly, I used to sing to mine during this! Its a necessary evil but eventually the bird will get used to this daily routine.

Sit as close to cage as is comfortable for it, and act like you're taking absolutely NO notice of it. Read, or watch TV, or use your laptop/phone etc. They usually don't like eye contact at first, it just needs to get used to you before you can move on to the next step.
Loo :)