WING CLIPPING

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

WING CLIPPING

Post by jen5239 »

Hello everyone,
When I got Byndi they told me they'd just had his wings clipped. Apparently not enough. He can still attempt to fly and kind of gets places. If that makes any sense. I keep reading everyone saying when they get their wings clipped it really helps calm them down. Ok! So what do you do when you live in a stupid little city that doesn't even have an avian vet within an hours drive? And your bird won't let you even hold it without trying to rip body parts off of you? So you can't even try to clip the wings a little more?? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to go on a vet hunt Monday and see if I can locate any around here that work with birds. Who knows maybe I'll be lucky. Thanks again for any suggestions!

Jen & Byndi
Dani03

Got a petstore???

Post by Dani03 »

Hey, my local petstore will clip my birds wings for a good price. They sell birds so I asked one day adn they said they did clip other birds (thank goodness)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I dont advise any of us, except the breeders or if we happen to have been around birds along time to clips even the slightest bit. MANY people here know enough to clip, breed, hatch, raise, you name it. Many of us dont and wing clipping can he fatal.

They have blood feathers Jen and if we accidently cut them it would be equivalant to us cutting our wrist, worse really because birds do not clot, meaning they do not stop bleeding very easily.

Clipping is left to those of us that KNOW what we are doing in that department. I wouldnt even attempt to give my girls a slight trim.... Noooo way.

Not only that, if we clipped wrong it would make the bird very clumsy, which is what happened with Baby, they cut one side shorter. Also, a bird that isnt clipped right looks thin and odd.

Your baby should have 'some' flight for its own safety. It should be able to flutter for a short distance then land easy, rather than like a rock. If clipped to short, they will land hard and be less likely to be able to flee from danger. He should be able to flutter from place to place but not fly around the room. If he is able to do that it is time for a trim.

The same applies to trimming nails.

I am so glad you asked this because I dont think I ever told you about the bleeding issue. If you ever see your baby bleeding apply baby powder and RUSH it somewhere. No vet? We have to think ahead on this in case of 911.

The humane society would help you in an emergency so have that number and address handy.
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I could have not said it better Mikaela!

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thats what ya hired me for punkin... to make your life easier! :wink:

I usually get the job with a short skirt and a happy smile. You hired me for my brain... now that is different! :roll:

HA!
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

I clip my birds wings myself. I do it at night and shine a light over my shoulder and through the extended wing. If you can see 'through' the wing and there are no veins running through the feather, it's okay to cut it. Less is best.

I don't cut claws. I only did Chook's once and he couldn't climb the curtains or anything and he was really frustrated. I just make sure I wear a shirt with my shoulders covered.

Cornflour also works well if your bird is bleeding.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I had my beloved pet cockatiel escape and went and clipped my sun conure to make sure it never happened again. I also clipped a ringneck to help "tame" it. I deeply regret doing both of those things.

My sun conure regained her flight feathers and is a whole new bird. She is no longer fearful of me or her surroundings and she feels confidant in her ability to get around. Having her and my other suns fly to me is the best feeling in the world. I hold out my hand and frog stops what he's doing and flies to me.

The ringeck was not so fortunate. I think that might be in part due to a feather disease but she regrown her wings but not her tail and has never gained the ability to fly properly and I deeply regret my actions. Clipping did not make her more tame she would launch herself off her perch to get away from me regardless and all she did was fall harder and hurt herself. She could have died from a fall like that.

Out of the 13 birds I own only one is slightly trimmed though you wouldnt know it because he can still fly well. Their ability to fly is so they can escape danger. It's my responsibility to ensure they come to no harm in my house.

That said your best bet is trying to gain the birds trust get it used to you and use positive reinforcement such as food. This is also discussed elsewhere on the forums. Encourage your bird to not *want* to fly away from you, not disable its means to do so.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

WOW! What BEAUTIFUL birds you have! Thanks for the advice. I've never heard of clipping their tail feathers???

Take care,
Jen & Byndi
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I didnt clip the tail feathers, they just keep breaking, now after a year and a half she still only has about half a tail. She flutters to the ground in the aviary but never regained full flight. I actually bought her in that condition. I guess thats why she was so cheap.

But she bonded nicely with a handsome green male and is happy in the aviary i modified so she could walk everywhere
Melika

Post by Melika »

Clipping has to do with the household. Our doors are constantly opening and closing. I noticed the dogs are MUCH more likely to snap at the birds if they're flying (flying birds love to buzz the dogs). Our house isn't very birf-proofed, mostly just dog proofed. So clipping is the only safe way for us because IRNs can be flighty. I probably wouldn't clip a macaw though, since they they're frightened they tend to freeze instead of taking flight.

We clip all our own birds, and like Jade will use a light if the bird has just recently molted.

Your best bet would be to find someone to show you how to do it. Look for local breeders too, if you can't find a vet.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

I have learned my lesson the hard way with wings. If you don't clip them, sometimes, no matter how much your birdie loves you, they want to try flying. Chuckles took off (as my post in 'stories' says) and the only problem was, he wanted me to come and get him. He was too scared to fly back to me because he was under attack by magpies and peewees.

Chuckles and Sunny are strictly aviary birds but I did handraise them. Never again will I let their wing feathers grow too much, just in case they get out.

Chook had a maiden voyage when he was about 8 months old. I hadn't clipped his wings and stupidly thought because I was with him all the time, he wouldn't leave me. He did but when he landed in the neighbours yard, he just flattened himself to the ground and didn't even make a noise. Its hard to find a bird in long grass when they are 'hiding'. Eventually we found him and he has always since had clipped wings. He doesn't like it, nor do Chuckles and Sunny, but they only ever get annoyed for a few minutes after. Once I have cut their wings, they climb up on my shoulder and preen their new 'haircuts'. They don't hold a grudge or hate me for it.

I think its a safer option and as a parront, you do whats best for your child's wellbeing. I know how hard it is to lose a bird and the anguish you feel, and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it. I'm just extremely lucky we got Chuckles back.

That's my opinon anyway :wink:
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I guess I learn things the hard way. My cockatiel had 5 "close calls" before he finally escaped for good. Everything from having the cage door swing open in the back yard. (he just sat there till mum went out and closed it) going out on my shoulder when I answered the phone. (i hear a chirp on my shoulder and there he is staring at the wide blue yonder, so I walk back inside and freak out to myself) flying to my head as I step out the door (I step back in again) and me letting him go with the back door open thinking "nah he wouldnt fly around 6 different corners to the open back door and he DID and sat on it, and finally he got out and sat on the drainage pipe calling to me. (I held out my hand and he flew to it and we went back inside) two days after that he just vanished. I have no idea what happened to him. I assume he let himself out through a hole in the screen door and I wasnt around to call him back.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

http://www.petparrot.com/ParrotCareWingClipping.htm a website to help you understand how to clip.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Clipping doesn't hurt the birds if its done right. Their feathers are made of the same stuff our hair and nails are. The only thing the birds hate is being held with their wing extended. I don't use a towell I just hold the bird against my stomach and with the same hand I'm holding the bird with, I extend the wing. My other hand will cut the feathers and then I will continue to hold the bird against my stomach and relax the wing and then just praise the bird and say how much of a good little birdie they are. Then I pop them on my shoulder to preen. I then feed them a couple of shelled sunflower seeds and they are happy again.

I think that confidence in the cut is the key element. THey can sense when you are nervous or scared - like a dog :lol:
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I've tried various styles of clipping. From cutting the primary flights, to beginning the clip from 4 feathers in from the end of the wing. My friend liked this style http://www.adelaidebirdclub.com/kire/bbfa2.jpg

Lately Niamh has been plucking only the clipped feathers. This is ok with us as we want Niamh to be fully flighted anyway.
Carly

Post by Carly »

I would warn anyone against clipping by themselves without being shown how to do it by a professional, several times if necessary. My vet taught me how to do it years ago and I am very comfortable clipping my birds wings.

BUT I have owned two birds in the past who had their lives ruined by a bad clip. One was the first bird I ever bought, a cockatiel who's owner thought she could clip his wing. Pity was, she didnt know what she was doing, he struggled, dislocated the wing and could never fly again. This bird was sweet as pie but he was severely traumatised about his wing and if he got a fright and tried to fly he would be in obvious distress afterwards, holding the wing out, shaking and crying. he would also pluck and chew the feathers on that wing.

The other one was a lutino IRN who I bought from a lady who had clipped him and then stuck him in a tiny cage to try to tame him. She clipped them too short and he never grew them back. I always wondered if it was him pulling them out because he was so traumatised about his wing, or if they were just permanently damaged. Poor bird was terrified of people AND unable to fly. Luckily he still made a great dad (and actually is the father of Rajah my pet IRN), but he had to climb around the avairy and would fall to the ground in fright if he was disturbed.

Clipping should be done carefully, by someone who knows what they are doing and always err on the side of caution and cut them longer rather than shorter. Also dont underestimate the psychological damage being unable to fly can have. You need to create an envrionment where the bird dosent need or want to fly when you clip. Dont end up with a bird that is scared of you, flops on the floor, then screams in pain because its wing hurts when it trys to fly! I've owned birds like this and cant say how sorry I felt for them, and how much I regretted the fact that their previous owners had tried to do something that they shouldnt have.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thank you for your post Carly, very thorough and informative.
~ Mikaela Sky

DarinA

Post by DarinA »

Hi Jen, if you are able to hook up with the breeder I was talking about in the other reply, she does their wings, nails and beak for $5. Having the insurance of someone that experienced is worth a whole lot more than that I think.
komodo

Re: WING CLIPPING

Post by komodo »

I'm totally against wing clipping I had a Male eclectus who was a pleasant and happy chap who became the devil bird after we had his wings clipped. later a breeder explained it to me like this,
a bird relies on their wings to get around and to get away from danger.
to limit or remove this ability is the same as a human losing their legs.
but the choice is yours.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have no problem with your reply Komodo. We are all entitled to our views on clipping. But just thought I'd point out that this thread is from 2005 and it is unlikely to person who first wrote it is still around on the forum.... and I dare say general views on clipping were probably vastly different eight years ago. :)

Ellie.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

I agree with Komodo,

i would never clip my birds wings . It is the owners job to keep him safe, birds have wings to fly. It is the same as breaking little boys legs to say its so he wont run out and get hurt. So sad. If you want a bird, you should take precausions to make his environment safe enough for him to be able to keep all his limbs intackt. The worse exuse i ever hear is that wings are clipped for the birds sake. Not true. Just my opinion.
komodo

Post by komodo »

new to forums getting use to the format
MissK

Post by MissK »

Welcome, komodo.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, welcome. It's no problem. I was trying to save everyone time by pointing out the age of the thread. I may not have worded my reply very well. :)

MissK has written a thread introducing the features of the forum that my be helpful to you.

Ellie.