Young moustache

Moderator: Mods

smick

Young moustache

Post by smick »

G'day I have a mature cock bird in with what I think is a hen but it displays too :roll: . This birds beak has gone black shouldn't that mean its a hen or do all young birds beak turn from the light orange colour to black and then when maturing the cock birds changes to bright orange :?:
Ring0Neck

Re: Young moustache

Post by Ring0Neck »

Well, It should be a simple changeover at about 8 months old.
Males will change from black to bright red
hen's beak remains black
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
smick

Post by smick »

Thanks ringo, I have had the bird 9 months now so if by Christmas its still black should be a hen, I hope, at what age does the chest change colour. :?:
smick

Post by smick »

Well the beak is now changing to bright orange from the top down, so my guess by it's displaying that it was a cock was correct. So now I have got 2 cock birds so now must look for hens :roll: . At least they are not related so should be good for when I breed young in the future when I find hens.
smick

Post by smick »

G'day again, well I bought 2 new hens from Fairfield bird sales both 2013 bred, so should not be somebody's reject. Well you should have seen the 2 males reaction :D . The younger males has been displaying he's little heart out, the other one is displaying as well but the younger one is super keen, I will let them select there own partners. Thanks Smick.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sounds exciting, must give you a sense of relief and pleasure seeing the 2 rascals happy :D
post some pics
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Smick, moustache are all hatched with orange beaks. Both male and female will then change to black, and at maturity males will then change again to that dark reddish orange color.

Two babies in the middle are moustache.

I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

smick

Post by smick »

Thanks skyes-crew, it looks like they have selected partners so now is just a waiting game, I don't know if hens can breed at 1yr, but can't wait. Thanks smick
loraperry

Post by loraperry »

what a great conversation! so nice that i can find it! https://eliteessaywriters.com/review/kibin-com/
Hanmagee

Post by Hanmagee »

Hi!

I just got a young moustache parrot who is around 5 months old. We don’t know the sex. But we see that it’s getting a pink chest already? What does this mean? Everywhere I see they stay mostly green for close to 12 months