missing irn

Moderator: Mods

april

missing irn

Post by april »

hello everyone,
i work on ft lauderdale beach and for about 4 months now there has been a green beautiful male irn coming to my job.at first i wanted to take him home,but my boss told me to let him be free.that is why i bought a one year old untamed male for myself. all the while guido was coming to my job 3 to 4 times a day and eating out of our hands.after 2 months i taught him the wolf whistle and he would call for me from outside the restaraunt.the only days he would not come is if it was raining. the reason i write is because he has not been in for two weeks now and i am becoming very worried.i wonder if anyone knows anything about this bird, or maybe if anyone caught this bird.i will post pics of him when i download them to my computer. do irns survive well in the wild?thank you.

Post by Guest »

where are you from April? unless ringnecks are native where you are then you have every right to give that bird a home (no matter what your boss says).

In my opinion no pet animal should be left 'in the wild' - not only are they in danger (being in the wild isnt a walk in the park), but they also pose a threat to native animals. They are domestic animals and should be kept as such. People will go on about 'freedom' issues, but by definition a domestic animal cant be free, and as pets they arent prepared (mentally or physically) to cope with life 'in the wild'.

ranting aside, i hope your 'guido' comes back, and maybe if he does you can convince the boss to let you take him home. keep in mind that he was probably visiting other houses/people too and that they may have decided to keep him. hopefully they are as caring and as committed to looking after him as you are.
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

If you live someplace in India, or Africa, this could be normal. If you don't, then that Indian Ringneck could have been someone's pet, or breeding bird, and is now, lost. How long has the bird been lost now? I wouldn't reccomend to leave the bird in the wild. Pet birds that escape may live happilly in the wild for some time, but over the long term they cannot supply themselves very well. Ideally, that bird belongs in someone's home in my opinion. Contact your local bird rescue centre, and ask them about lost birds, and if there are any recent ones. Your local Police Centre might also be a good place to go. Check out for "lost pets" anywhere you might think you'd find. Such a tame bird probably has had a previous owner.[/code]