fids and pet stores

Moderator: Mods

kimtoo

fids and pet stores

Post by kimtoo »

I have a question for everyone...

I have always been afraid to take my birds to petshops with birds because of health concerns. ISo I don't. I, I don't even handle birds in pet shops....if I do (rare) I scrub and shower before I would handle my own. don't want them to catch something.

How do you feel about taking your fids to places where there are other fids?
Last edited by kimtoo on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Rule of thumb in my house...if I have been around other birds that I do NOT know the backgrounds of, I wash throughly. I do not want to bring in diseases or expose my babies to those diseases.

No petshops for us, not if they have birds. We go other places...the park, ect.

I don't want their deaths to happen because of something that could have been prevented.

Dani
Melika

Post by Melika »

The birds most likely to carry diseases are Tiels and Budgies- which if a store carries birds they have those. You don't know where these birds came from. I don't even give a bird toy from a petstore to my bird without sanitizing it first. I like internet toy shopping.

The danger to your bird is highest when they are young- especially for ekkies.

I wouldn't even take my bird to a bird club meeting, or bird show. Heck, I don't even go to an avian vet yearly. Too many sick birds there!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Melika wrote:The birds most likely to carry diseases are Tiels and Budgies- which if a store carries birds they have those. You don't know where these birds came from. I don't even give a bird toy from a petstore to my bird without sanitizing it first. I like internet toy shopping.

The danger to your bird is highest when they are young- especially for ekkies.

I wouldn't even take my bird to a bird club meeting, or bird show. Heck, I don't even go to an avian vet yearly. Too many sick birds there!

Out of curiousity, why especially ekkies? I'm scared now :shock:

What's the best way to sanitize toys?
Melika

Post by Melika »

I usually just wash in a 10% bleach solution or a tablespoon of grapefruit-seed extract, whatever I have handy. And hang to dry. But most good bird toys use water soluble veggie dyes and fade. That's another reason I like to order my toys online. It's just easier.

I believe it was the polyoma virus I was reading about. Though I can't be sure (I did loads of research since I want an ekkie, though I can't have one right now). Though there is a vaccine for birds with boosters and everything, so it can be prevented. Ah, here's a quote I just looked up: "The Avian polyoma virus causes high levels of mortality in young psittacine birds. Species differences in susceptibility to infection may also exist, since polyoma virus appears most prevalent in macaws, conures, Eclectus parrots, lovebirds, cockatiels, budgies, finches and gallinaceous birds, including chickens and turkeys."
http://www.avianweb.com/polyoma.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

my two big birds (macaw and cag) have been vaccinated for polyoma--check with your breeder Missi-neither of my birds were done by the breeder, I had it done after bringing them home.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

chime in guys!
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Oh I'm pretty sure Jazzy was vacinated as well when she was younger (pfft as if she's old now! :roll: :lol:)
I will check her paper she came with tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!
Melika

Post by Melika »

yeah, all I've read indicates that APV (avian polyoma virus) typically affects chicks and young birds. Not saying older birds can't get it, but they are hardier than young ones.

Psittacosis is another one that bothers me, as there is no vaccination and even birds who have been treated can still be carriers while testing negative for the disease. And it's zoonotic, meaning it's transferable from animals to people. It can be spread through dander and dried fecal matter in the air. And birds can be carriers for long periods of time without showing any signs of sickness, shedding the bacteria/virus (they're not sure exactly which it is yet) the whole time.

I'm just paranoid about diseases. I want my Hane to be with me the next 25 years or more. Preferably more.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Missi--did you find out if Jazzy was vaccinated?
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I did take Lovy to petstore, but I go check it out first before bringing Lovy with me if the place are good and clean for Lovy to visit.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Lovy is my ringneck by the way if someone doesn't know.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon loves going to pet stores he watches the animals from my shoulder he never gets down or too close so i believe he is fine.
Sharlene and Amazon