Option 1 is the Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center
14%
Option 2 is a Natural Java Tree
86%

Total votes: 7

Skyes_crew

Play Stands

Post by Skyes_crew »

My flock has grown and so I am in need of more play areas. This time I've decided to go the store bought route :) please help me decide on one. Thanks in advance!!

Option 1 Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center

Option 2 Natural Java Tree
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

SunniDai

Re: Play Stands

Post by SunniDai »

I am personally fond of the natural wood one :)
Dana
~Dana

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

What about option 3: both! :mrgreen:
They both look quite fun, but I'm leaning towards that first one because it would be easier to add toys too...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

First one looks easier to clean too, although a natural wood one is good too! Too close to call for me.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The tree supposedly has eye hooks for toys but I don't really see any but one. I'm leaning towards the first one and I actually found a table top version of the second one I might get. So yes Claire I could get both :D it's floor space I'm running out of.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I generally think the natural wood stands look more appropriate, and I really can't tell the size from the pictures. I, too, worry about how much room and opportunity there is for hanging toys from the wood stand, but aside from that I would choose the wood every time. Perhaps, given that the bird can turn itself upside-down, toys maybe need not hang from the highest point? Have you got a natural wood stand and a more manufactured type stand already, or maybe could borrow, to see which type the birds prefer? Although it would end up DIY, do you have options for wall-mounted play areas? I'd say suspend them, but I hear your ceilings are kinda high...... :wink:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I love the look of the tree, really I do. I'm just thinking about how much time ill be spending cleaning it. It's also pretty big. The dimensions on it are 66"X28"X48".

Now the tabletop version is nice but doesn't take up floor space. I can put it on the kitchen island for play space when I'm not cooking. The dimensions are only "28X18"X28" I guess I could also build a rolling cart for it at some point too if I need to move it around.

MissK...if only I could suspend things from my ceiling lol. That seems to be my biggest issue. :wink:

I have a dragonwood TPerch with multilevels that the birds love

And I have the play area on top of cyranos cage that is made of driftwood. And then their tree is a big banyan tree. So most of their play areas are wood. I don't have any metal. But I liked that the activity center had natural perches and ladder steps. Do you think they wouldn't like the metal??? I used to have a metal one. I flight trained hamlet on it. But I gave it away to a friend that really needed it more than I did at the time.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I sat down to evaluate your two stand choices, side by side. I think they both present a cleaning challenge, with the different annoying parts, but neither without frustration potential. Both of them are going to take space in the room, even the tabletop model, as it needs to sit on a table. I notice most of your cages are dome top, and I regret that, since they might otherwise provide ample space for tabletop stand models. Both stand models are likely quite costly. If there were a significant price difference, that would weigh heavily in my selection process. I can't project how this would go, but you should ask yourself if your birds are likely to share a stand at the same time - in such a case, I would tend toward the one that could accommodate more birds. Being me, I idly wonder how it would go if you got a six foot table and put a row of tabletop stands on it - would the flock go for that? I also cannot divorce myself from the fact that I see one of these stands as visually attractive to this human and the other as not.

Next I tried to evaluate the stands independently:

I've refrained from buying a metal one like that, actually, because I think it's large, expensive, and of questionable utility. While the one you selected looks, indeed, better than many, I always wonder where the "play" comes into such a "playstand".

I see the large wood perch at top, with the many hangers. I like that, actually, a lot. I see it as the best part of this stand.

Next I see the swing. I don't see any enticement to get the bird on the swing, however. Do your birds go to a swing just because it's there? My Canaries do -in fact, when I bought the swings for them, I could practically hear the yellow one hollering "A SWING! A SWING!" as he rushed for it. But the 'Keets and the Ringneck? Not so much. They go to their swings because the swing is the perching place for near the food or the only option in the area (Ringneck) or it is the high perch in the cage (Budgies). Maybe it a toy hung from the same spot the swings is hung there would be a reason to swing.

Below the swing I see food cups and a long perch. Food cups are obviously great fun, and they can double as toy containers and foraging spots. The long perch would be a place to hang out and access the food cups.

I question the ladders, mainly because none of my birds has ever shown interest in a ladder. I think ladders may be of more interest to clipped birds who actually need them? If your birds like ladders, then that would make this piece a lot more useful in my eyes. If not, then I just see the ladders as a spot for modification into toy hangers. If it were me, I might wrap one in bird safe rope, so it looked like a cat scratching post, and hang a lot of things on the other.

The rest of the stand is just bulky framework. I realize birds don't have any hangup climbing on metal -we see them on the outside of their cages all the time. Like the ladders, I see the frame as a potential spot for hanging toys.

As far as the wood perch is concerned, I think it looks inherently more interesting, but it also needs stuff added. You could use your drill (here's me plugging the drill again....) and some small eye bolts to make hangers anywhere the wood is thick enough to support them. Or you can just tie stuff on and retie it as the ties are bitten. I use a jute twine to tie lots of stuff on for Rocky, and it took him 10 months to get around to cutting then end of a rope perch off, while he goes through toy hangers regularly.

I see two treat cups, and I imagine you could add more anyplace, again using your drill.

I would definitely add rope to the wood stand. You could drape and tie a rope on, and you could wrap certain branches. I also see the entire wood stand as a potential chew toy.

I realize I didn't answer the question. :lol: Truth is, all I can do it give thoughts and questions. If you *really* want me to tell you what to do (and I know you don't!) then I'm going to tell you to change all your cages for flat tops and put tabletop play stands on them. I hope my thoughts helped you think about your thoughts!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

In choosing my birds cages I did research on cage shape (of course i did) :D dome offers higher head room, less wing damage, blah blah blah. Choice already made. I'm not buying all new cages :shock:
So taking that variable out of the equation...I do however like the idea of a long table with play places lined up. It means I would lose my reading chair and hall table, but I can live with that. The hall table is long, but it's walnut and mahogany so I'd have to cover it up. Do you think maybe a piece of custom plexiglass would do? I can see two decent size play stands on it already though :D most of the birds play nice. They have playgroups lol. I have one bully. Can you guess who? I'm starting to think avian biotech got the results mixed up on that one.

Bubbles because of the FLD has balance issues right now, so I usually just put him on a T perch in the living room with me. Mack will sit for awhile on a big perch that's just his, but then get bored and climb down and walk around on the floor. It's the other birds that need the space to play. Cyrano and hamlet like to play nicely on the tree, climbing and chewing and here comes the bully to kick them off. So they wind up on the T perch with just a few toys. I don't get in the middle of their pecking order games. Skye has become a playground bully. So that was one reason for the need for more play areas.

Now the tree...I don't believe it comes on castors. I see that as a problem unless they can be added. I'm 5' tall. I need to be able to roll that beast outside to hose it down. I admit to having an advantage of seeing the activity center in person in a local pet supply house. The picture didn't do it justice. Whichever one i get would be modified regardless because I'm so anti store bought :wink: the activity center also has the option to buy replacement ladder rungs and perches after the birds have chewed them up. The tree doesn't. The tree branch thickness though coupled with the hardness of java wood should make it something that will last for a very long time. And yes, I could take out a drill and drill more eyebolt holes :D you would love that. The choice may be made for me in the end if I can't find a company that will ship the java tree to Hawaii. I feel sad without a choice :(

MissK

Post by MissK »

But, Melissa, if you changed all your cages, just think of all the BUDGIES you could bring home!!!!! :D
I wasn't seriously suggesting it as an option- who could afford that?!

If you buy a folding table with a plastic top then you would not have to worry about damage and wiping would be easy. Something like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/offic ... 4AodqgwA0w I don't think I would set birds to play on a "good" table. Like hey, here's this thing for you, except all this bit that looks like the rest. Be sure you don't eat THAT bit.......

And how's the weather?

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

How about I send all of my cages to you and YOU fill them with budgies!!! :mrgreen:

I like the plastic table option. Wonder if it comes in colors :D plus it has more depth. Ill find a new home for my other table. I also had the idea to get some of those hanging plant arms like shown here

http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Arm-Brow ... +plant+arm

Then I could mount them to the wall above the play area over the table to hang additional toys and ropes and ladders. What do you think?

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, I don't really need that antique china cabinet with all those antique dishes.... I don't need that dining room table! Bring it on!

If you shop around you will find other options, colours, prices. Plant arms have to hang pretty close to the wall, but if you hung two of them you could put a long bamboo stick between them and make a bar for hanging as many toys as you want. I hung wind chimes like that for a few seasons on my patio and I liked it a lot.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I didn't "need" the china cabinet either. :D That's why my wedding china is packed away in the back of a closet. I take a plate out once in awhile to look at it. I have extra cages lol. Just say the word and they'll be on their way to Maryland. :wink:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Ahhh, that's great! :D

You called my bluff, though! I am not bringing any more Budgies in here. Honestly, when they get going they're louder than the Ringneck!

I had such a nice little evening. I was sitting here in my lounge chair after a very long day of clearing out excess junk and old clothing, very taxing, to be sure. Dogs are sleeping in their baskets for a change. The sun was coming in sideways about 6:15 and all I could hear was the sound of birds eating. It was delightful. Rocky has a new habit of carrying his food over to the low perch next to the "swimming pool" to eat. It was pear and red peppers. Never would have happened a year ago. The budgies were doing a dance between three dishes - she just hates to share! Canaries were nibbling and preening. I can watch it all from my chair in the corner, AND hit the forum at the same time. :lol:

Really nice is all I can say. I hope everyone gets a chance to sit and quietly appreciate their birds.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm having my moment right now. Two youngest kids are napping...two oldest ones are reading. Middle one is catching up on summer homework. Every single bird is sleeping. Skye is mumbling. Hamlet chirps every once in awhile. Hamlet is tucked and out cold. Mackie is laughing in his sleep softly. Bubbles got his name because when he sleeps he makes little noises like bubbles popping. I'm sitting in my chair with my iPad thinking life couldn't get any better. <3

Zookeeper1958

Post by Zookeeper1958 »

I personally like number 2 - our sun conure has one like this and he loves it . I'd like to find one for our INR .
Zookeeper1958

Post by Zookeeper1958 »

I can say from experience that ive had both of those types of play stands -for my sun conure- not my IRN -yet. As far as they go , most birds love to climb so the java tree is a better choice for this activity . I did purchase one like the first choice -the metal one . Hung lots of toys from it and neither my sun conure or our INR -Gabby, would get on it . Both prefer climbing up and down on the tree ...
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

save your money... go cut down a little tree with lots of interesting branches and use that
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

I had an acacia tree that was dying and branches falling down, so had some huge pieces cut off, and now I have to start making a tree for them. Some lovely branches I got out of that tree :D .

Got to get my tools out and start, just waiting for the rain to stop, its rain and rain everyday since last week.

Ash
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

my guys pretty much live on the play gyms i would deffs go for number 2 looks to me like it would actually be easier to clean and hang toys off i clean my ones with a knife and just scrape the mess of then vacuum it up with number one their is metal you would have to scrub also and there looks to be only 2 simple perches for the bird to stand on ..number 2 has a bit more foot room....

But option 3 witch is make your own or find a local handyman to make one.. Would be the best bet.. I think Animal Woodworx.. (You can find them on facebook) do international shipping now but that could be expensive
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

beware of eye hooks. because they screw into the timber, the bird can accidently unscrew them while playing on the toys. this results in the toys falling off with the bird still on the toy. This happen a few years back to a eclectus Parrot I had. But you can go to a fishing tackle shop and buy fishing line swivels to solve this hazard. They range in a variety of types and sizes. I would suggest a ball bearing game fishing type around 30 kgs. Attach the swivel between the eye hook and toy securely. there are ones from japan that don't rust.