How I Found My New Family

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Ronlee

How I Found My New Family

Post by Ronlee »

Hi My Name is Ron I'm from Sunny South Africa.
I happen to have acquired an IRN by chance about a year ago, let me explain.
I noticed and heard this green bird in the trees around my house and in my neighbourhood, this carried on for about 2 months, I would drive around in my area and sometimes I would see or hear this green bird.
One morning I woke up early and heard the same distinctive sound from this bird, it was in a tree on my property. I went into the house and put some bread onto a plate and put the plate down on the lawn and backed away, to my surprise the bird flew down and started eating from the plate, I moved in a little closer and it flew back into the tree. I decided to sit down on the lawn next to the plate, after 10 minuts it landed about 5 metres from me, I sat still and waited, it moved in very slowly and eventually was eating from the plate next to me. I slowly moved my arm, coiling it back for a strike to grab this bird. I realised that it might be a painful experience but was willing to take to chance. Whack, got it, screeching and squawking and softly biting, took it inside and cut its wings. This bird was very scared. I found this site and quickly identified it as a female IRN. We got a cage for it and that was it we now had a wild IRN in a cage. 3 weeks later this bird stated talking and saying words in Afrikaans. We still had not named her. My wife tried to open the cage to see what would happen, the bird came out and climbed to the top of the cage, to cut a long story short, a year later our female ring neck got new feathers and turned into a male by getting a black ring. We name him Boetie because that’s one of the many things he says. We now have an extra member of the family that climbs around the house doing his own thing, walking on my head in bed to wake me in the morning. Eating out of my mouth, saying long sentences and being so tame that his not scared of anything, as I’m typing this he is sitting on the edge of my keyboard sleeping. He walks around on my desk as if he owns this place. He lets me know every day by flapping his wings in a certain way that he wants to bath, I then get a large bowl of luke warm water that he goes crazy in. I have learnt so much from this site and from Boetie what a great personality a bird can have not to mention how intelligent these IRN's are. He does demand lots of attention and constant interaction. I will try to post some video clips of Boetie onto this site, if I’m allowed, you will be amazed.
Regards Ron and Boetie
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

You are allowed to post pictures or videos, You story
was really fun to read. :D
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Neat Story.....
Kudos on your bird catching ability.
Glad to have you on the forum. Please post pics and videos.

:)
Allie
bec

Post by bec »

awwwww what a lovcley story
we want to see pics of boetie (how do you pronounce that?)
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Is it Bow-Ti.
Like in the movie Point Break.?
Allie
Ronlee

Post by Ronlee »

Hi I'm back

Phew... what a mission to photograph Boetie.
He just wants to bite the camera and so moves foward all the time setting the focus out.
I will get there.. I will get good photo's of him, just have to be patient.
Can someone tell me how to attach an avatar or photo on the left and must html be on or not? and can i attach video clips here?

Ron
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

To post photos, i told you in the other thread you made of the same words..lols

To upload an avatar, you upload onto photobucket & copy & past the image code, you then paste the code onto your off Link to off-site Avatar: in your profile. But after you paste it, do not press submit yet because you will have too remove the (img) before and after...then press submit