Smokey the Guard Bird

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

laine

Smokey the Guard Bird

Post by laine »

Before I explain why he is now my Guard Bird, I will briefly describe Smokey's general reaction to people.
Me: he loves me of course and will play, come to me, is starting to talk (kind of) will do anything with me (almost :D ).
My son, Dale, and my boyfriend Brett: Smokey can be a little moody with them but is generally friendly. However, if they have food, a camera or a mobile phone- he will be their best friend :D
Strangers - sometimes he yells, screeches, squawks everything, he doesn't like unfamiliar faces. Other times with different strangers he is like a shy kid and will hide under my hair at the back of my neck until he gets used to them or they prove they are nice people. :lol:
At night, Smokey now knows when it's nighttime and goes peacefully. We kiss and cuddle and he then waves goodnight until morning there is no sound.
Last night was a different story. About 1.30am he was yelling like I had never heard before. Brett got up to see what was wrong with him. I heard him say 'what's wrong" (made me laugh a bit cos as if Smokey was about to converse and explain his behaviour :lol: ). Anyway he quietened down, Brett came back to bed and we all went back to sleep eventually. At 7.30am we woke, upon entering the lounge room we discovered we had been burgled. Yep from the lounge we had been relieved of 2 laptop computers, mobile phones, digital cameras, wallets, purse and a navigation system. All from where little Smokey is. His cage is in the lounge along one wall and he probably saw it all. He was yelling at the burglars. It's probably good too because, had he been quiet, they may have taken all the home theatre system and stereo equipment as well as goodness knows what else. He is now my Guard Bird, guarding the house as we sleep. The police agree that his excessive noise would have been a big shock to the theives and may have contributed to them not completely cleaning out the loungeroom of all our stuff. Well today could have been a better one for me, I have spent most of it with the police, insurance company and worry whilst trying to get some work done (at least the boss was understanding about my absent mindedness today). Here's hoping for a brighter tomorrow. We sure could do with it.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Oh Elaine you poor thing! It feels awful when someone invades your home and takes things you worked hard to get but thank goodness Smokey is ok and he scared them before they could take more. Be careful as sometimes if they see you had more to get they could return.

Ew Ew Ew they were in your house while you and your family were sleeping!!! Some people are just awful! Take care, I am glad you and your family are all safe!
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

:shock: I couldn't imagine ,that must be aweful, makes me so angry. Good for smokey !

*Hugs* for you .. lets hope insurance gets you new for old :D or was the gear all new anyway ?

Doesn't it make you wonder how they pick their houses, maybe it was someone you knew (distant visitor ?) etc. Did they even know you had all that gear. Gosh if they broke into my house all we have worth taking is this computer and even then its nothing special, 2 years old now. :shock: omg! what if they took my birds, lol .. just let em try, my quakers make the biggest rukkus now that they have their nesting box in. Talk about alarm birds, they make this amazing growling cackling carry on everytime anything goes near them (Except for me :D ), even a shadow by the window or a sudden sound in the lounge. Nobody could even get into the bird room without being deafened and then attacked.. lol

Just so glad you are OK *hugs*
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh my gosh! That is scary! People like that make me sick. I have heard of people stealing pets aswell. That is such a scary thought. I hope Smokey scared them away quickly! Lets hope the insurance pays up quickly and you can get your life back to normal as soon as possible. What a terrible time that must be.

Just makes you think.. when your bird is screaming at night its usually something 'just not right'. I always wake up to the birds alarm calls. I wont wake up to anything else, dead to the world! :lol: But as soon as I hear the 'alarm' I jump up even if its just thunder or lightening that frightened them, I'll still check on them.

So glad Smokey and yourself are ok. *HUGS*
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

Thanks everyone. I am so glad that they didn't touch my little Smokey. He probably would have bitten their hands off anyway :lol: Anyway the insurance claim is underway. I haven't been able to sleep properly as I am listening for every sound. Guess it will get easier.
At least no one was hurt. The thing that I am sadest about are all the photos I had on my laptop. Those are memories you can't buy back unfortunately.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Always backup to disk .. :( sorry you lost them darlin
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

That is horrible, I am glad that your family was not harmed and good on Smokey for being a loud mouth!

If anyone tried to break into my house they would be met with three dogs hot on their tails... let alone the racket that the birds would make and if they tried to take any of them, they would need a stretcher!

Again, sorry this happened to you. How did they get in unnoticed by you and your family?