Violent Ringneck - KILLED 3 LOVEBIRDS !!!

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

robhyper7

Violent Ringneck - KILLED 3 LOVEBIRDS !!!

Post by robhyper7 »

Ok Im gonna keep this really simple... im about to cry and still cant get over it. I walked home today after the wedding (was away for exactly 2 hours) to open my room and find 3 dead lovebirds on the floor one with blood all around its head... my IRN has gone physico!!!

I dont trust him anymore and his in his cage as we speak for time out I had to wash under his chin as their was blood stains !!!

What do you guys think of this i feel soley to blame to leave him in the same room with them uncaged !!! he has never shown any signs of such hate !!!! i need some closure here i cant look at him the same

Regards Robbie !!!

:cry:
Donna

Post by Donna »

This should be a lesson for everybody that leaves their birds uncaged and interact together thinking they are friends and buddies. I don't know how many times I have stressed on this board about birds playing together and espeically unsupervised. Don't blame the poor IRN, for all you know he was just defending himself from the three love birds :oops: If you can't look at the bird the same way you use to then I strongly suggest finding a good home for this bird. Don't punish the bird any longer.

Donna
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Just got out of bed and read this post. I have tears in my eyes. What a nightmare.

This is a tradegy no one should look past. I cant imagine how upset you would be. :cry:

I agree Donna, an accident waiting to happen, an accident, we cant blame the IRN, nor the poor Loveys. Birds fight and sometimes kill. If you can't look at your IRN the same way. Re homing would be best.

Very sad. Again HUGS for you.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
robhyper7

Post by robhyper7 »

Donna wrote:This should be a lesson for everybody that leaves their birds uncaged and interact together thinking they are friends and buddies. I don't know how many times I have stressed on this board about birds playing together and espeically unsupervised. Don't blame the poor IRN, for all you know he was just defending himself from the three love birds :oops: If you can't look at the bird the same way you use to then I strongly suggest finding a good home for this bird. Don't punish the bird any longer.

Donna

I just got up today i feel better had my IRN chatting away above his cage and the last love bird is caged.

Donna i dont appreciate what you said how the hell do am i punishing my bird he had 10 minutes of time out in his cage ? this is not punishment as you suggest he needed to know that what he did was at least wrong to some extent he had blood underneath his beak!!!

I treat all my birds like kings they get everything and the best of the best look at my videos and pictures.

I have decided to re-home the remaining poor lonely loverbird and keep my IRN i guess these things happen its just nature right ? trying to convince myself it was either self defence or he didnt know what he was doing ...

let you guys know how it all goes.
Donna

Post by Donna »

:roll: It would be punishment on you and the bird if you kept him and you do not feel the same way about him as you did before the accident. The bird does not realize he did any thing wrong even after 10 minutes in the cage for time out. :?

Donna
Shikoba's Mommy

Post by Shikoba's Mommy »

Wow, I just now got to reading this. I have many Lovebirds and my IRN can get nippy towards them so I make sure they don't get too close to each other. The lovebirds do provoke her, she flew on their cage one day and they were all biting at her feet so if I were a bird and I had someone biting my feet ..... I would bite back. That sounds like this was the case here. You cannot blame the IRN, it could have been provoked.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello robhyper7,

I am sorry to hear that happened. I know at times we tend to believe our birds don’t have a mean streak in them, but they are animals, and like all animals, they act like animals. Does that make sense? I have seen this happen several times and unfortunately that’s just the way things work out.

Don’t blame yourself because obviously you thought it was safe to let them interact together. I am 100% sure that if you knew what was going to happen, you would have not let them interact together.

We are here for you and wish you the very best. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I too have just read this post and I feel for you. Even supervised things can quickly get out of control. So my small fids have a huge cage to fly and play around in. If we let them out to play, the IRN's are locked up for that time.

Only a few weeks ago, I had two of my IRN's out supervised with our cockatiel who adores to eat with them, but we literally have to be sitting right next to the cockatiel every second, and even while we were doing this our IRN Jordan lunged and got a hold of kiely's wing. IRN's can be Very protective over their territory and their owners.

I would just take this as a sign that your IRN is a normal healthy very protective bird, he is not some crazy murderer, just a very healthy normal IRN, either protecting his territory, or himself. Love him and help him to live in a safe territory that is his. He needs to be king of his castle. :D

If you do have smaller fids, they are just going to have to be happy with an area all of their own, and truly they dont mind one bit.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it is hard for all of us not to attribute human emotions to our pets, but I think it is very rare for animals to act out of animosity. It took us humans generations to learn to not act out of instinct all the time (with limited success). I'm very nervous about leaving anyone out of their cage without a "grown up" human around -- though I know it works for lots of folks. Hope your lovebird does well in her new home and you can get back to feeling the same about your IRN.
MCS
Janice L Parks

Post by Janice L Parks »

:cry: I'm so sorry about your accident. I call it an accident because no one but the birds know what happened. I have one IRN and 2 love birds. The love birds are in their cage unless I'm here and Prettygirl has her wings clipped so she can't get to gether unless I'm there. I left them to close one time and when I came back Prettygirls toes were bloody and she had bit the Lovebirds beaks. I thought of how much worse it could have been. I was the one to blame because I'm the grown up. Please don't beat your self up over this because we are all here for you and believe me we can feel your pain. I know that Lovebirds can be very mean because I use to raise breaders in a walk in cage and I noticed that some of them had had their toe's bit off. It broke my heart, but I didn't go in with them except to feed and get the babies out to hand feed so I didn't notice it. They were not tame and and flew around like crazy when I cam in. I couldn't tell how many males and females I had. Even when Prettygirl and the two lovebirds are out I keep a water spray bottle handy because they will mix it up. The water doesn't hurt them and it breaks up the fight. Hang in there and I will say a prayer for you.
Janice & Prettygirl
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

owwww thats sad!
i can definitly u nderstand wat ur feeling. iv had heeps of diferent pets.
i used to ave mice as a kid cos tehy were cheap to buy and kwl pets. but i was the shitest owner and they evertualy all died.
then sum1 gaveme a budgie and i was soo hapy. we used to get on so well...and one day he was siting on the couch wile i was gone and mum and her friend sat down and... well he died... mum neva told me wat hapened cos she thought i wud go spastic... but now she tels me and it makes me feel real sad... i felt like i wasnt fit to have a pet cos i was the worst owner. i got my IRN a few months ago. (hes adorable)
god here i am talking about a bugie that died years ago. ok to compress wat i just said, i meen i can understand wat ur feeling. hope it all gows well...
feel sad 4 the luvbird... (wen i was litle i came home from skwl and my sister had bought me a pair of em. but they flew throu the barsof the cage and i only eva saw them on the powerlines...(again here im prateling on about random suff.)
DianneFutureRN

So sorry for your loss

Post by DianneFutureRN »

I was so upset after reading your post. I have only had my birds for a month and the previous owner kept Pete (IRN) and Little Bird (parakeet) in the same cage. She said they got along great and I haven't had any problems with them either. Ocasionally Pete would grab Little Birds tail and pull but that was all. Needless to say, after reading your post I rushed right out and got Little Bird his own cage. I don't think I could live with myself after reading your post if I didn't seperate my birds and something would happen.
Even though its only been a day, my IRN seems happier! He played with his toys today and bobbed his head back and forth and showed off. He is finally acting like the IRN's I have been reading about on this forum. Before he just sat side by side with Little Bird and didn't socialize at all. Now I realize that maybe he was sulking because he had to share his cage!!
Anyway, I am sorry for your loss and I hope you can get over this and still feel close to your bird. Forgive him and remember he is only a bird. Don't blame yourself either, you are only human and no one is perfect. Your story has a purpose, to open the eyes of others and save some birdy lives.
Dianne
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I'm sorry for your loss :cry:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Donna wrote:This should be a lesson for everybody that leaves their birds uncaged and interact together thinking they are friends and buddies. I don't know how many times I have stressed on this board about birds playing together and espeically unsupervised. Don't blame the poor IRN, for all you know he was just defending himself from the three love birds :oops: If you can't look at the bird the same way you use to then I strongly suggest finding a good home for this bird. Don't punish the bird any longer. Donna

I could not agree more, man people sure dont like strong, confident women unafraid to sugar-coat. We are taught to be 'nice little ladies'. NEWS FLASH... Im not in this world to be liked, Im in it to make a difference. I could care less if Im liked or not and actually expect not to be. lol

Props to you Donna for saying what you feel, regardless of your words lacking of what was wanted to be heard. I wish there were more assertive women in the world, then we would be taken a bit more seriously. The 'play dumb' act really doesnt look good on anyone. No matter who is wearing it.

See signature. :lol:

That being said, Im very sorry for your loss and I hope others learn vicariously through it. Then, it wont be in complete vain. You may want to post in the 'Rainbow Bridge' forum I created for some closure. It helped me through a loss as well as many others. God bless you.
~ Mikaela Sky