Tiki scared the crap out of me last night!

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Lisa's Tiki

Tiki scared the crap out of me last night!

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Last night I was already asleep, but my husband was still awake. It was around 10pm and all of a sudden Tiki starts screaming like he is caught or hurt. I have never heard him scream like this before. My husband ran to his cage, but he seemed perfectly fine, so we have no idea what his problem was. This morning, he was all happy and talking like nothing happened. The only thing I can think of his maybe he had a night fright???? During the summer we were all sleeping in the living room, because it is the only room with an air conditioner. Well my 8 year old daughter got in the habit and didn't want to give up sleeping on the couch, so I endulged her until this weekend (I know I should have stopped it way before this, but she's my only one, besides my fids, so usually she gets her way, because she is spoiled rotten! :lol: ) Well last night was the second night we weren't sleeping in there, so maybe Tiki woke up and didn't see anyone and just like a little kid freaked out??? Has anyone else's fid done this before, sound like they are dying or caught on something and when you rush to their side, they look at you like you are crazy?????
Here4Fun

Post by Here4Fun »

Man, these birds never cease to amaze me. When Jared was going through his 'whining' stage Baby began whining when he spoke.

Baaaaaby, wants a treeeeat. Instead of the upbeat, 'Baby want a treat!' I had to break them both from that.

Another situation is when one of my friends come to stay here when she first had her baby so I could help her. New Borns have a specific cry because their lungs arent fully formed. They too stay in the living room with the birds on their stands. When it was time for her to set off on her own, Baby would 'cry' about the same time everynight. Feeding time for the Baby.

It sounded SO sad. But, after a few days he stopped. Thank God because he sounded so bad. Broke my heart. He attaches to people in about 3 days, then is mean to me when they leave.

Left with a empty house and a very pissed off ringneck. :twisted:
Loving Life and Living Right!!!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep, Jibby had a night fright last night. Argh, was up all night running to him. He was fluttering around the cage like a mad chicken. I thought it might of been the wind blowing on the windows but I figured out what that he just didnt like something in the kitchen. He kept screaming everytime I walked into the kitchen and clinging onto the cage stareing at me like 'noo dont go in there!' :shock: I gave him a cuddle and put him back on his perch to sleep. I eventually covered half the cage so he doesnt have to look at the kitchen! He was fine. :roll: I also took some things out of his cage just incase he hurts himself on them. This is only the second time this has happened. I knew it was going to be a difficult night, because he just didnt want to go to sleep. It was really windy here last night. Wind blew the balcony doors open in the middle of the night aswell.
Night frights are scary, but sometimes it can be a lil thing thats annoying them. Like something in the kitchen! Or the wind.
Jibby has been super needy lately. Like he cant let me out of his sight? If I leave the room, he follows, or if im not back in 15 he comes looking for me. He even sits in the bathroom everymorning now waiting for me to have a shower. If I dont he screams at me. At bedtime, he must get his cuddle or he just wont sleep! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

In my house it is the tiels or budgies that have the night frights. They start flapping around wildly, then the cats come in to see what is going on, then Magellan starts making warning calls -- then I fly out of bed and really set them off...... haven't had one of those two AM adventures for a while, thank heavens!
MCS
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

that's happened to lou before, but i have noticed that it's more common in my budgie Legacy. HOwever she doesn't screech a bunch but she does flutter around. There's been a few times where it's woken me up out of a dead sleep. :shock: it only bothers me b/c i'm alone, they're like my watch dogs.
~the stubborn one~
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Its doesnt seem common in IRNs. Tiels and budgies seem to be prone to them.

Yep, no need for a guard dog, we have Jibby, who screams at anyone he doesnt know who enters the house. Or if something makes a noise in the night like the fridge motor suddenly humming. Or just when something just isnt right and he doesnt like it! :roll:
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

my partner and i work afternoon shifts, the hours being 2-10:15pm, so the fids have from about 1-10:30 when theyre home alone.
By the time we get home, theyre both asleep (till we walk in the door) so considering were generally up untill 2-4am and the cage is in the lounge room.... we prefer to cover the fids at night. i have a blue flannel sheet we throw over the top of the cage, leaving the lower part free for some coolness to come in, and they can come down if they wanna have a look out but it blocks most of the light frm 2 computers out. Baby has only ever had night frights once, arch did a lil at first when we covered him in his 'little' cage but he got used to it, and i think they like it now, once theyre covered, noone goes near them, and we try to keep volume down, but talk at normal voice and usually watch a movie, or our tv shows, and none of that seems to bother them.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'd cover the cages too if I worked those hours and was up till early morning. I'm not a 9 to 5 person. I hope to get a night job after my studys so I can spend most of the day with my fidlets hehe.
bec

rikus done this too

Post by bec »

we had a similar problem last tuesday night she started screaming loud & ive never heard her scream for that long before (she screams if larissa leaves her sight for too long) we both took off and ran in expecting her to be stuck or hurt but as soon as we got to her we saw the problem was the big huntsman spider on the cieling just above her cage she was slamming her self on the side of the cage tryng to get away we caught it got it outside & gave her a strawberry she stopped flying as soon as it was gone but it took about half an hour to calm her down properly.
my dads been telling my whole family about larissas arachnophoic bird poor girl i know how she feels ever sinse if i hear the birds freak its the first thing i look for
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie does it occasionally. i'm the one that wakes evryone up with screams though :oops: i have a slight case of sleep terror disorder had it since i was a kid most ppl grow out of it but for some reason i never did. it's pretty funny though cause i cant remember anything dont know i've screamed and my poor partner creams his pants :lol: and cant sleep for the rest of the night while i go straight back to sleep blissfully unaware